Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tv on the out..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Colbert. I need to get him back in the rotation.
    Colbert is our "laundry folding" media in this house. We watch a couple of recorded shows, picking those we are most interested in from the ten that are always sitting there waiting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Smart part of TV will end up obsolete. Save money and buy without and then add a Roku or the like which can be replaced when something better is invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Smart part of TV will end up obsolete. Save money and buy without and then add a Roku or the like which can be replaced when something better is invented.
    The "smart" part of our Samsung gets software/firmware updates pretty regularly...it's not a static setup.
    --

4. Most of the major brands you see these days are great. I have an LG 47" that's been going strong for 5 years now and at the time of purchase it was $1080. Personally I wouldn't spend more then $1000 on a TV. The features are a bit of a gimmick. I have them on my TV and they don't make it look better, it just makes it look unrealistic compared to the source content. My brother got a $500 LG 4K and it looks great, it was picked up at Bestbuy. The $500 price range for a TV seems to be a real sweet spot right now. Think of the high end features, and think deeply on if they really matter to you because most of it is useless for the average user. I was pretty anal about the LG I picked up, and there's a website that has perfect color settings. If you're interested in a certain TV I'd look it up on that website and see if it has the calibration settings for that specific TV because after calibrating mine it looks amazing. Out of the box it looked great, but tuning the blue ting, noise, sharpness etc... as these researchers suggested made everything perfect. Sams Club is a good place to go, and Bestbuy price matches so you can get Amazon prices out the door. Good luck, happy hunting.

I would suggest you rturn your defective Samsung for a replacement. These major companies are wanting to protect their image (pardon the pun), and even if the warranty has expired will usually replace it, or offer you a significant discount towards a new one.

I have owned both Sony and Samsung. The Sony was way back when flat screen technology was brand new. At the time it seemed Sony had the market cornered. Over the years it seems things have swayed in the favor of Samsung.

My concern with Samsung is this. My now dying TV is a Samsung. The problem i am having is all the sudden the screen just goes black. The only way to get it back is to unplug the tv from power directly from the wall and let it sit 20/40 minutes.

I figured out this resolution by searching online. It seems this is a common thing with Samsung tv's. People complain of it happening within only a few short months of buying a new tv and also like me after 6-8 years. So i guess no rhyme or reason but clearly specific to Samsung.

I dont know i guess ill just try another Samsung. As mych as 6-8 years seems like a scam fir a tv its probably about all you can expect anymore?
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

our Samsung TV was bought before LED backlighting was available. I figure that at some time in the next 5 years or so, the fluorescent backlighting will go bad and we will have to get a new TV or spend the same on getting it fixed. I assume that's what's going on with the OP's tv, it's just intermittent. We don't have central air, so LED backlighting might help with the heat.

Well TV is officially dead.

looks like i gotta head out to BestBuy at some point tomorrow. Big game here in Boston Sunday cant be messing with a TV on Saturday. Plus Saturday is mandatory shop time. Well as mandatory as the rest of the world will allow me for.

Biggest thing I think are brightness and color shift if you aren't in line with the TV. I have a Plasma Panasonic and there is zero color shift and you can see it clearly at 175º. I have a cheaper LCD in my bedroom that suffers from color shift, but since it's inline with the bed it doesn't matter.

If you're a Costco member, Patrick, they seem to have a very good Samsung/Others selection available at good prices

I see Target has a lot on sale this week

"Everybody" has piles of televisions available this particular week of the year...
    --

Got a new tv this afternoon.

I settled on a 55" sony smart 4k HDR blah blah blah. It was $1060 out the door.

I dont think i like it.

First the sound is terrible. Like really really terrible! I really want but dont want to have to purchase a sound stick right now. If i do its gonna be a Sonos and then im in for another $700-800 smackers.

Second something about the picture seems weird. Like almost fake. Seems like i can see a way more a broad picture than my old 46" Samsung. Like their is more content on the screen as though itmwas shot forma differnet angle with the cameras in production. It also seems like thr movement or moving objects are weird, like things move frantically.

I was directed toward this tv as the picture movement ratings are very very good when compared to to other offerings and great for sports. Being i love football i thought this a good decision.

Anyway its a tv im sure ill get used to all of it.

I would say that you should adjust the picture on a new tv. Our Samsung never made any sense. I know someone that had an internship in the signal processing shop at broadcom, and he showed me all the settings I should change. I'm sure there are guides. I think they are set up to impress in stores, and don't have good settings for most of us.

I never quite understood why the sales end with the super bowl. Just seems backwards to me. The first TV I ever bought was because Washington was in the super bowl, and it was on sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "Everybody" has piles of televisions available this particular week of the year...

Got a new tv this afternoon.

I settled on a 55" sony smart 4k HDR blah blah blah. It was $1060 out the door.

First the sound is terrible. Like really really terrible! I really want but dont want to have to purchase a sound stick right now. If i do its gonna be a Sonos and then im in for another $700-800 smackers.

Second something about the picture seems weird. Like almost fake. Seems like i can see a way more a broad picture than my old 46" Samsung. Like their is more content on the screen as though itmwas shot forma differnet angle with the cameras in production. It also seems like thr movement or moving objects are weird, like things move frantically.

I was directed toward this tv as the picture movement ratings are very very good when compared to to other offerings and great for sports. Being i love football i thought this a good decision.

Anyway its a tv im sure ill get used to all of it.
    I would take it back and get something you like.

I played with the sound settings last night. No such luck the soung is just garbage. So i went and did some reading online about the Sonos sound bar. Unlike the Polk option i have to purchase a subwoofer also. I think this makes for a $1300 total. Actually if i wanted i could still add a front and a rear to thats setup for a grand total,of $1800.

In the short long term i will need to do something about the sound its terrible.

I connected my Tav to my wifi signal. Dont ask me why, it was a option during setup and it felt like now or never as ill never dig through them menues to figure it out again.

With that said i should mess with the picture settings also as if i let enough time go by ill just never do it. I really dont have the time patients or interest for such a tv centric task but i should take the time and do it.

Crazy tv went through a software update when i turned it in this morning. I think in another ten years my tv might feed me, make my coffee or walk my dog..

Also i meant to mention the sales staff did tell me all the TV's in stores are pushing out 4K content. How the heck are you suppoosed be makemamgood decision based on nothing is supported by 4K except some Nerflixs contnet. netFlix there is another thing i wont be doing..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Keller View Post
    I would say that you should adjust the picture on a new tv. Our Samsung never made any sense. I know someone that had an internship in the signal processing shop at broadcom, and he showed me all the settings I should change. I'm sure there are guides. I think they are set up to impress in stores, and don't have good settings for most of us.

I never quite understood why the sales end with the super bowl. Just seems backwards to me. The first TV I ever bought was because Washington was in the super bowl, and it was on sale
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-01-2017 at 7:49 AM.