Thread: Dust collector assembly torque wrench question

Dust collector assembly torque wrench question

Hi all,

Trying to assemble a 5hp dust gorilla pro by Oneida and the manual has torque specs ranging from 4-100ft-lbs.

I don't have a torque wrench so I tried to find a single wrench to handle the range and am coming up short.

How important is it to follow the torque specs?

Do you have wrench recommendations?

Thank you.

Most box-end/open-end wrenches are designed so that the length of the wrench multiplied by the force applied by the average user equals the recommended torque for the nut/bolt that they fit. It is just an average torque in the end, and there is a lot of intuition and variability in the result. However, a DC (and 99% of other bolted connections) isn't a mission to Mars - - and this is a good place to practice 'close enough counts' - - IMHO.

You can use a driver/impact wrench to snug connectors & speed assembly, then switch to a simple hand wrench for final approximate 'torque spec' if you feel it necessary.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-26-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarity

Thanks Malcolm, I suppose I was scared by threads such as the one below with regard to assembling the clear vue cyclones. It sound like the Clear vues require a lot more assembly and attention to minutia.

The Motor has to be mounted to it's MDF plate, and the impeller has to then be mounted to the motor shaft. You need to have access to an inch/pound torque wrench. Not a foot/pound one!! I don't own one, but borrowed one from a co-worker/friend at work over the weekend. YOU DON'T WANT TO ATTEMPT ASSEMBLY WITHOUT THE TORQUE WRENCH!!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...e-ClearVue-won

John, after considering the nature of the blower (and it's moving parts), I probably should have mentioned there may be some specific parts of the impeller/hub/motor interface that merit more than 'close-enough-counts'. As Bill Pentz states (paraphrasing) - - 'you can build a bomb of a blower'.

I've not built the DG Pro, so if the instructions are adamant about torque specs in the area of the impeller, I'd follow them. And a little spot of thread-lock can forgive many assembly sins.

Also, as alternative to purchase, most auto parts stores have a lending or tool rental option. ...I'd bet a torque wrench is on the list.

(And I'm looking at same unit, so please keep us up to speed on your experiences!)

Malcolm,

I got it put together finally - it took quite a few hours but I took my time and in the end I feel good about it.

Next up is ductwork.

I own two torque wrenches. 3/8 In/lb and 1/2 ft/lb from craftsman. Work fine.

4 ftlbs is 48 inch pounds. That is just light snug., Worry about the impeller, motor/mounts and sealed joints other than that just tighten it all up.

You can often get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for about $10. Normal price is about $20. I have their 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. I am sure that Snap on are better but for the price HF are very useful.

Think you are supposed to loosen the HF torque wrenches to store them to keep them accurate. I have a set of all 3, bought on sale. Use the 1/4" to torque my helical cutters. They are accurate enough.