Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring Techniques?

If you want to use the bigger boxes, go to a electrical supplier. They also make the covers that fit. You will be paying a small premium. You might also consider an http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-8-...04RC/100537130 I had to use one of these for my Basement master light switch install. I needed the size due to wire fill count. Also Stranded wire is much easier to fit in any box. It does cost more, but is definitely worth it for convenience. Dan

My small electrical project is now finished. The duplex outlets are spaced 4 ft. apart on 2 alternating 20 amp circuits. The 20 amp, 240v outlets are spaced 8 ft. apart and share the same box as one of the duplex circuits. As mentioned before the 10 gauge wire on the 240v circuit was the most difficult to install but with a little thought, practice and advice offered here it went well and looks good. I think the key to working with the 10 gauge wire is knowing where to make the folds and using a piece of wood to help the process. A larger box other than the 32 cu. in. duplex box that I used would've made the job easier but wasn't necessary in my opinion. I really like the 120v duplex outlet and 240v outlet in the same box. It looks less cluttered than providing separate boxes. Rather than buy a special cover plate I took a standard duplex/switch cover plate and cored a hole over the switch opening for the 240v outlet. Luckily the screw spacing was the same. I was planning to paint some of the cover plates to identify their circuits but found it wasn't necessary because the combination 120v and 240 outlets grouped together do that for me. The bonus to this project besides having a better laid out work space is that I learned a few things along the way and picked up a few skills.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-29-2017 at 11:32 AM.

The problem w/ DIY electrical installations is DIYers propensity to use handy/gem boxes, it's like trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag, my attitude towards them is if you want to use them, spread your hands out on a anvil, & have someone hit each finger ten times with a 5 pound hammer, after that & think it's still a good idea, go ahead. As one can guess I hate them, proper/generous box sizes make the job easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    The problem w/ DIY electrical installations is DIYers propensity to use handy/gem boxes, it's like trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag, my attitude towards them is if you want to use them, spread your hands out on a anvil, & have someone hit each finger ten times with a 5 pound hammer, after that & think it's still a good idea, go ahead. As one can guess I hate them, proper/generous box sizes make the job easier.
    What's a proper/generous size double gang box larger than 32 or 34 cu. in. that will fit in a 3 1/2 stud wall?

The 4 11/16 x 4 11/16 x 2 1/8 is 42 cubic inches.

One can pack 16 #10 or 18 #12 or 21 #14.

http://www.wireityourself.com/box.html#.WJi4y385aZY
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The 4 11/16 x 4 11/16 x 2 1/8 is 42 cubic inches.

One can pack 16 #10 or 18 #12 or 21 #14.

http://www.wireityourself.com/box.html#.WJi4y385aZY
    And then there are 5 square boxes with even more capacity but both wouldn't fit my needs because a combination duplex/single 20 amp cover plate wouldn't fit. In response to Rollie's comment about DIY installations, the problem with for profit professional installations is often times you get shoddy work and never better than what I can do myself.