Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust mask recommendations

Dust mask recommendations

I'm trying to use a dust mask more so I'm wondering what dust mask you use and like. I'm using a Miller LPR-100 that I wish I liked more. I find it's hard to adjust it to where it doesn't vent up into my glasses a little.

My criteria would be, in no particular order:

• Filtration level .5 micron or less
    • Easy to put on
    • Comfort including weight
    • Quality of seal especially on the top where it may blow into glasses
    • Compatibility with other safety gear i.e. face shields and hearing protection

Thanks, Richard
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I'm trying to use a dust mask more so I'm wondering what dust mask you use and like. ...
    • Filtration level .5 micron or less
    • Easy to put on
    • Comfort including weight
    • Quality of seal especially on the top where it may blow into glasses
    • Compatibility with other safety gear i.e. face shields and hearing protection
    Richard,

I don't know what a Miller LPR-100 is. I use these 3M respirators with P100 filters, have 4-5 spaced around the shop and use them when handling hay, shearing alpacas, and for other dusty things on the farm too. I do like them a lot and I've tried a bunch.

respirator.jpg

These are light weight, comfortable, go on and off quickly, have nearly zero resistance to air movement, fit under a face shield, no glasses-fogging exhaust, seal is very good, respirator and filters are inexpensive. Industrial, OSHA, you'll have to research a micron rating if one exists - all I can find is P100 filters are certified to remove 99.97% of particulates.

I also keep a couple of these, used mostly when working with chemicals using special filter cartridges. They take the same standard filters..

respirator_full_face.jpg

JKJ

I use a 3M 6000 series half mask respirator with disposable filters. For my face I get a good seal, my glasses don't fog, and it fits under my face shield without a problem. I vacuum the outer surface of the filters from time to time to get longer use out of them.

Here is a link to a posting about a dust mask; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...or-woodturners . I'm going to try this one at some point and but have to order it. It looks good and the specs are good.

Red
    RED

I just got one of the 3 m filters like johns. It is rated for mold remediation and lead paint removal and some organic vapors. Also I like that it takes other 3 m filters if I need them. Home Depot sells them and has the replacement filters. And other cartridges... Easy peasy.

c
    Last edited by Clint Bach; 01-26-2017 at 3:44 PM. Reason: Typo

I have the same 3M as John has and find it to be pretty comfortable and works pretty well at filtering wood dust. I have almost no asthma issues when I wear it. John, what is the name of that second one you show?

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    I have the same 3M as John has and find it to be pretty comfortable and works pretty well at filtering wood dust. I have almost no asthma issues when I wear it. John, what is the name of that second one you show?
    Dave, the full-face respirator is a 3M also I think. It uses the same standard filters (not shown in the picture). I've had one for 25 years and just recently got another from Amazon. I can check the exact model when I get back home, but any model with OSHA approval should work as well. All the industrial safety suppliers carry these and all the filters.

I "accidentally" discovered another use for this a few years ago. Driving home I saw smoke from the woods down the hill from my farm - a gentleman with a lapse of judgement had let a fire get out of control while he went in the house for a lunch break. Before the Big Dogs got there I got most of a fire break cut with my tractor. Whenever the wind changed the respirator was very effective for keeping the smoke out of my eyes.

I trust these respirators and filters far more than the various dust masks sold to woodworkers and I've bought and tried a bunch. With life-long asthma and sinus issues, I can usually tell right away if a mask/filter is effective. The P100 filters work better for dust than the expensive Trend mask with powered ventilation - I quit using it completely.

JKJ

I use North 7700 half masks with P100 cartridges. I've been fit tested on them at work, so I know the medium size mask fits my face. They fit well under a face shield, don't interfere with glasses, don't cause fogging. Below are some links on Amazon. I buy them at a local supplier which usually has better pricing on the replacement cartridges.

The respirator masks come in different sizes. It would be good to figure out which size fits your face. One way to do so is to put on the mask with no filters on it. Put your palms over the holes where the filters attach. Breathe in. If you have a good seal, you will draw vacuum inside the mask. If you have leakage around the edges of the mask, adjust the straps on the mask or try a different size. This is also a good test when first donning the mask and during your sanding session...just put your palms over the filters, breathe in, and make sure there are no leaks. (Not sure if you can do this on the 3M style cartridges.)

Respirator mask:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

P100 Cartridge: https://www.amazon.com/North-7580P10...SWSYM29VTWR7MF

Organic Vapor Cartridge: https://www.amazon.com/North-N75001-...apor+cartridge
    Last edited by Dave Bunge; 01-27-2017 at 7:33 AM. Reason: Corrected info and link about respirator mask

The pics are (about) like I wear. I would have to check the # as 3M makes a lot of different ones.
    They are P100 so the same rating as Johns (99.97%) and size at .3 microns. I included a pic of the inside because a lot of folks don't think they will seal. Very light and comfortable. 3M says good for 160 hours but since I typically only use them for sanding I toss them after about 40 hours because they are starting to look grungy. They run about $7 on Amazon or the bay but you can usually buy in bulk (12) for about $5. 3M also make a P95, or 95% effective, with the same .3 micron for about $2.25.
    If you have a beard they may not work as well. Some folks say they are hot but I have not had that problem.

s-l1600.jpgs-l16001.jpg
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks for everyone's responses.

In addition to the Miller LPR 100 I also have a mask similar to the 3M that John shows. I bought that for spraying and it feels a little bulky for prolonged use at the lathe.

Now to my embarrassment I'll admit that more through fiddling with the strap adjustment has resulted in a much more satisfactory fit with the Miller.

Randy, did you order the RZ Mask? It looks interesting. I'll look at Yoder's post and see what he says.
    RD

I ordered an RZ mask. I don't like it so much. It looks much 'cooler' than my 3m half mask with hot pink filters. But the fit is just not that great - even with my beardless face. For me it gaps around the chin.

I think it's a great portable mask, and I suspect it really excels if you're working outside in climate challenged conditions (either hot or cold). My 3m half mask is not good for that; it steams up inside and can eventually drip. This is especially a problem when, say, sanding outside in the winter.

But for day-to-day indoors, when my kids don't care if I embarrass them with the way I look, I prefer the fit and function of the 3m half mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    when my kids don't care if I embarrass them with the way I look, I prefer the fit and function of the 3m half mask.
    Woah, I didn't really register that the mask wraps under the chin. That looks likely to be hit or miss on the fit.

If the threat of the 3M mask helps keep the kids in line, well that's just a plus!
    RD

Can anyone explain the differences between the two 'kinds' of RZ masks? The M1 vs. the M2?
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

From their site:

The
    M1 Mask is the pioneer of the RZ Vision. A clean, classic look with all the technology you’ve come to expect from RZ Industries. Featuring a durable, 4-way stretch neoprene body that delivers maximum performance in those tough duty situations. Dominating protection and performance through its 99.9% replaceable Active Carbon Filter. The M1 is your general purpose, tough-duty air filtration mask.

Freedom of motion through simplicity and innovation. The
    M2 Mask is unparalleled in its class. It's lightweight and slim design features a full mesh main body construction, resulting in improved airflow and breathability to seamlessly integrate into any users job or adventure. Dominating protection and performance through its 99.9% replaceable Active Carbon Filter. The M2 is your lightweight air filtration mask, ideal for those who stay in motion.

It looks like they both can use the same filters and valves. They offer three sizes and 90 day money back.

I dunno. Anybody with positives on this?
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 02-10-2017 at 3:32 PM. Reason: Additional info
    RD

I believe one is designed to be lighter for use in hotter climates or more active situations.