Thread: How many putty knives?

Blog Entries

How many putty knives?

I started cleaning and sanding the wooden handle of one and then cleaned the blade on sand paper. I ended up putting Renaissance wax on both the blade and the handle.
    It felt so good after I did it, I picked up another one and did the same thing. Well, might as well do all of them. By the time I got through, I have ten mud and putty
    knives. I had no idea I had so many. It's almost embarrassing.

I bet I'm the only woodworker that's done this.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

That is probably a safe bet.

I wash mine after I use them, its almost embarrassing.

I clean them but don't sand and polish them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    That is probably a safe bet.
    Well, it is 20 plus years of collection.

Blog Entries
    I don't normally, but I picked one up and it was a bit rusty, so I sanded the blade and that led to sanding the handle.
    I put the wax on to prevent more corrosion. Well the sanded handle with the wax on it felt so good that I picked up
    another one. . . . . . . . and so on.

Believe me -- I understand the process and the forces at work -- I have undertaken many such similar projects in the past.

Sanding is the best way to clean the one, solitary, onlyest lonleyest one I have of dried glue.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I started cleaning and sanding the wooden handle of one and then cleaned the blade on sand paper. I ended up putting Renaissance wax on both the blade and the handle.
    It felt so good after I did it, I picked up another one and did the same thing. Well, might as well do all of them. By the time I got through, I have ten mud and putty
    knives. I had no idea I had so many. It's almost embarrassing.

ten? you've barely gotten started. my shop user drawer probably has 25 in it, and that doesn't include the mud tools or site work boxes.

I've got lots of these also, just never seem to know where to find them

Lowell, what a conundrum! I think you need one for each drawer and one for each shelf. Those things are like mice, you know they are there, to to find one in the open is indeed unusual. I don't know exactly how many I have, never had them together in one place. I couldn't go lay my hands on one at this minute without looking thru a few places. If I cleaned and polished one of those things I may not see it for a few years
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Sometimes I'm bored and will just start cleaning and polishing. I know, but it'e a mood thing.

Hey Lowell,

I've cleaned up putty knives too, and with sandpaper too. Never waxed one, but it isn't a bad idea, as you mentioned, to prevent corrosion.

I'm not sure how many I have....finding more than 2 to 4 or 5 would probably be a problem.

Some tools I have duplicates of because I could not find the original of and probably thought it was lost or loaned or something, or forgot I already had one, so suddenly I had two. Usually I find the original a few days after I have purchased and used it's replacement....sigh.

Stew