Thread: Newport style Tall Clock

Newport style Tall Clock

Anyone here ever build one? My question what is the best way to attach the 1/8" thick (I'm using Walnut) curved cover on the top of the Hood. Cut nails or maybe small countersunk screw in a dark brown color? If I used nails don't think it will ever come off in tack.

On old clocks I've seen a lot of glue blocks used. Worked ,and was cheaper than nails.

Great project! I would probably nail with a good reproduction nail, such as tremont.

Are you currently building one? Would love to see progress pics.

Cal

Brian,

you mean a clock that looks like this 1458317838075.jpg (excuse the really crappy cell phone picture). This picture is from the Fine Art Museum (Boston), I was totally taken aback of how tall these clocks are, this clock must be 8' 6" tall, unfortunately there is no point of reference. I guess this is a long way of saying Ben Hobbs response is the best, but jeez who is tall enough to see the top of the hood .

That sounds pretty good. Gluing that is. I was going to build a small steam box so as to pre-form the top piece in to the required curve anyways , then glue in place using hide glue, should be little no no stress on the glue. Thanks
    PS Beautiful clock, but no my clock hood is different. I'll post a picture if I can.
    Last edited by Brian Knop; 01-27-2017 at 4:36 PM.

Used to make them from 1985-1989. The top covers were glued in a simple shaped caul. No blocks to see from the inside and no fixings outside.

When you get up to polishing and start to think about this now, make the fiddly bits separately so that they can be fully polished and then assembled. Makes a huge difference to the amount of work and the end result is great. Cheers