Thread: Dust Collection Beginners Question: What should I do?

Question Dust Collection Beginners Question: What should I do?

I've only recently ( 3 Years) started woodworking. I have a 30X40 Shop, with 1/3 'finished' ie Temp/climate controlled, the rest is at Mother Nature discression. I collectted enough dust makers that I need to invest in a good collector. I have an air cleaner, 1 Micron filter, for the finished portion ( Bench, rounter and Band Saw live here). The other 2/3 of shop has a lot of outside air. I've been told I need a 1 Micron filter on dust collector but I'm not sure its beneficial because of all the outside air. So the primary question I have is How much of a filter do I need for a shop area that is not climate controlled? I want the collector to be portable to use in finished portion when necessary. Thanks folks, I've been trying to come to a decision for over 6 weeks and I keep talking myself out of what I thought I'd decided. I should also clarify the 2/3 'unfinished' portion does have a concrete floor and is essentially water tight, with electricity, just not heated, cooled or insulated.
    Last edited by Steve Mitchell; 01-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Steve, in your case I would put in a cyclone and vent it outside.

If your collector isn't HEPA quality, the air it discharges into your shop will require you to wear a good respirator.

Anything that escapes collection and goes into the shop air will be drawn into your lungs.

That's why an air cleaner is only a secondary item, I don't have one in my shop I use the cyclone for primary collection and have measured the air quality to determine what to improve.........Regards, Rod.

The fact that 2/3 of the shop space is not heated, cooled or insulated should not be considered in your dust collection decisions. Unless the space is wide open ie covered with a roof but no walls it should be treated the same as your enclosed climate controlled space. Why do you think otherwise?

Doug, thanks for the perspective. I'm not concerned with the dust collection, I'm puzzled by how much of a filter the dust collector needs. My 'thinking' is, if there is a constant flow of outside air into the shop how much benefit is a, for example 2 Micron filter on the dust collector providing? It seems to me the 'air' itself is likely 'dirtier' than that. Having said that, I know I need dust collection, I'm puzzled why there is such a varied array of filtering on any said machine.

What level of filter does your cyclone have?

Steve,

The sub-micron particles that are thrown out from cutting, sanding, etc. are the real issue of concern. These can have some health risk. In some cases severe consequences. Generally, the larger the particles, it seems the less health risk. If you are interested in effective dust and chip collection, you want to get a cyclone and either filter the exhaust, or vent outside. Venting outside is the ideal way, but only if you can satisfy the conditions to do it safely. Dust collection isn't something most of us want to spend money on, but almost everyone comes to the realization they need it. You can try all the lesser (read cheaper) solutions, but you will spend more money and effort until you realize the cyclone was what you really needed at the beginning.

Strongly suggest you read Bill Pentz website: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ Lots to read here, but the most comprehensive source out there.

There are lots of other threads on SMC that discuss all aspects of dust collection.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 01-28-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mitchell View Post
    Doug, thanks for the perspective. I'm not concerned with the dust collection, I'm puzzled by how much of a filter the dust collector needs. My 'thinking' is, if there is a constant flow of outside air into the shop how much benefit is a, for example 2 Micron filter on the dust collector providing? It seems to me the 'air' itself is likely 'dirtier' than that. Having said that, I know I need dust collection, I'm puzzled why there is such a varied array of filtering on any said machine.
    Not sure how unheated, uncooled uninsulated space means a constant flow of outside air into the shop unless you mean a shop with no walls. I guess one way to treat such a space differently from a climate controlled space would be to vent outside rather than using a cartridge filter. I think the varied array of filtering is the same as why there is a varying array of quality of tools available. For some a cheap tool that does a mediocre job and wears out quickly is all they need and are willing to pay for, for others it is worth paying for better results and longevity. If you plan on spending a couple of minutes a week in your shop you may not care about the quality of the air, if you are going to spend 20 or 30 hours a week in your shop you are risking serious health issues if you don't.

Thanks James for the link. I'm sure that will help immensely. You are spot on about not wanting to spend more money than is necessary.
    Last edited by Steve Mitchell; 01-27-2017 at 4:24 PM.

I live in an agriculture area, the wind blows most days from some direction. My shop is a metal building, as stated it is fairly water tight, there are open air pockets on each of the ribs of the raised panels. Where the roof meets the walls, the same condition exists. I get dirt in there even if I'm never in that part, ergo my perspective that I'm in contact constantly with 'air polution'. But you are correct, I'm just retired, 20-30 hours is probably an accurate weekly sum, so as you stated, I need something to do a good job. Thanks for the advice. Once I've consumed the information provided by the link, I should be a much better informed consumer