Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawk, Hegner or something else?

Hawk, Hegner or something else?

Scroll saws, that is. Any preference? I have a very nice Delta 24" pre-serial number model, but I am thinking about making some clocks, and I'm not sure if the Delta is up to the small blades that'll be necessary. I've used the Hawk and Hegners saws before, and I can't see a whole lot of difference between the two. There seem to be a lot more used Hawks for sale, though.

Has anyone done much fine scroll work using blades in the SR-5 range with a Delta 24"? It seems like the constant tension walking beam assembly used in the Hawk and Hegner might be a advantage over the plunger type saws.

I have an RBI (Hawk) inherited from my dad. My rich buddy has a Hegner. They both work just fine, and are well built. I don't know about parts for a Hegner, but Hawk parts are available if needed.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the Dewalt 788 20" saw. I have done very fine work with it and love it.
    I made this clock as a wedding gift for my brother.Clock.jpg

Some of the other projects had much smaller detail than this clock.

Good Luck finding what works best for you.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Hegner parts are available through Advanced Machinery, though some parts can be rather expensive. I have a couple of Hegner scrollsaws that I bought used. They are quality machines that cut fine. They need to be bolted to a steel stand or at the very least clamped down to your workbench. Otherwise they will vibrate all over the place. You could go to owwm.org (you'll need a free account) and ask about using small blades on your Delta scrollsaw. I used to have a Powermatic 95 scrollsaw and never had problems with it breaking blades, though I didn't use the very smallest blades. I worked great, and ran very smoothly, but it was rather mind-numbing doing pierced work because of the time it took to release the blade.

--Geoff

I'm on my second Hawk. I traded my first one in one on their BM -26 model. Largest they make. 26" throat, with several frills & dressin's. Out of the five other breeds I own, the Hawk is my work horse. You can't go wrong with red!! Their parts & tech service is impeccable! my .02.
    Sawdust703

I have a 26" Hawk and like it. I've used the DeWalt scroll saw and it's a nice saw, also. No experience with the Hegner.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've been enjoying my Excalibur. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

I thought of purchasing a scroll saw two years ago and ask about them. Someone recommended waiting until the next time there was a project that needed a scroll saw. That project never materialized. That said, out of all the choices the Excalibur excelled. Most cannot say enough about them.

I have had five scroll saws. The Harbor Freight saw died a sudden death, the De Walt lasted to just out of warranty. I now have a 2008 Hegner Polymax-3 and a 1986 Hegner multimax-3. (a 25" saw)... I also have a 1988 Jet saw. It is a 15" saw and I paid $15 for it in 2010. All three of my scroll saws have induction motors. This is why they have lasted so long. I cut 3/4" thick or thicker woods and killed the De Walt cutting this. I have used an Excalibur and it is a very nice saw, as is the De Walt. The main advantage of the saws I own is that they are durable, unlike any saw with a brushed (universal, or DC motor). I run my saws most every day for 4-8 hours.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

i used a hegner for many years and really liked it - but then moved up to a deeper throated xclaibur - 30". took a little while but i think the xcalibur is a superior machine - not so much for stoutness of build but for control in tight cuts, easier to use for pierced cuttings (feeding thin blades from the top rather than searching from underneath), and adjusting speed controls.
    jerry
    jerry

This is a Chevy versus Ford question. Hawk, Hegner, Excalibur...all fine machines. IMHO the Hegner is a great saw and built to really last. I bought a used Hegner and it is great for me and will cut thick pieces. For my uses, it is great.

If you are going to do fret work or something where you need to feed the blade through holes, then a Hegner may not be the best choice. All of them mentioned will handle smaller blades and do fine work. I use a very good lighted magnifying lamp for most of my work.

I have the DeWalt DW788. Like it a lot. But my saw is an early model that was manufactured by Excalibur in Canada.

IMG_0699.jpgIMG_0701.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0511.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The Excalibur scroll saws are no longer available if you are considering one of those. But the jet saw is very similar to the Excalibur except it loads from the bottom instead of the top?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

sorry to hear the xcalibur is no longer available.
    forgot to mention 1 major difference - for angle cuts the xcalibur's headstock tilts rather than the table - i found this a great advantage for doing double bevel marquetry
    jerry
    jerry

Jerry the Jet does the same as far as a tilting head. In fact it looks like the same unit as the Excalibur. All most like they stole the design?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006