Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum chuck gasket material

Vacuum chuck gasket material

What's a good cheap substitute for the neoprene packs Oneway sells for their vacuum drums? is neoprene the best material?

I buy closed cell foam on Amazon. Works well.

My favorite material is closed cell foam that I steal from my wife's scrapbooking supplies in 8.5 x 11" sheets. It works well and is inexpensive from Michael's or Hobby Lobby type craft stores. I think a possible limitation may be that those sheets are relatively thin, so they may be a limiting factor if one needs to bridge a large gap for a seal.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I got packs of closed cell foam sheets at Wal-mart in the craft dept. Works great for me.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Amazon has lots of choices. Most available for prime.

does anyone have advice for what to use on the face of a 14" - 16" or so vacuum faceplate?
    buying a whole roll of foam seems like a waste, but I don't think splicing sheets together will do.
    can anyone think of something I could paint on?

perhaps thicker foam would seal across a splice.
    what does experience teach those that have figured it out?

I spliced two and have had no problem, so far. I've used it twice.

I use the foam and then cover that with a piece of leather from an old chair that was worn out. The foam often leaves a mark on the finish. The leather will eliminate that.

I have no experience with the product but Rubber Chucky makes silicon covers for the OneWay drums - $50 for a set of three sizes. Not cheap but supposed to last long.

Mike

I use closed cell packing material - the kind you get in a shipment from Amazon, UPS or Fedex. It is thin, works great and I like the price.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the advice!!
    dave

Vinyl shelf paper from Lowes. Cut your rings out and stick em on with contact cement.

I make my vacuum chucks from wood but similar to the Oneway drums. I learned the vinyl shelf paper trick from David Ellsworth....he says it lasts longer than anything. He did not disappoint me.
    Larry

I saw the adhesive back foam sheets (1/8" thick) from WalMart, Craft Supply, etc used on chuck at SWAT. They had cut an oversize disk and wrapped the excess over the rim and taped the edge to chuck with masking tape to give better adherence. I now used that method over just the adhesive back. I also saw last week a friend had used the 1/4" thick foam available using spray adhesive for his chuck. I did purchase a roll of adhesive back foam from McMaster Carr about 8 years back that works well, but foam is a lower density. Lots of options out there.

I used one of those interlocking floor mats from Harbor Freight, they are about three eights to half inch thick and are closed foam. If you want a thick gasket.

I just make my own vacuum Chuck silicone seals and they have given me stellar service for many years. My Vacuum Chucks are made with a wood base, threaded to fit my spindle 1 1/4" x 8 tip, and varying sizes of ABS plumbing pipe.
    3", 2.5" and 1.5" pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 01-31-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Sales not allowed in forums

Backer rod for chinking log homes works well. It is round, available in different sizes, closed cell and is on a continuous roll.