Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dust collection install tools ,what do I need ?

Mike,

I did notice one of your questions never got an answer. Yes, it is preferable to have a straight run of smooth wall pipe into your cyclone. It allows the turbulent flow in the ducting to settle down and become closer to laminar. It will slightly increase the efficiency of your cyclone. The exact amount of straight pipe probably needs charts to determine, but 5 or 6 feet seems to be a good figure. If it was a bit more or less, I doubt you could measure the difference.

To collect from the machines to your main duct, I would use Y's NOT T's and more metal duct. If your machines are stationary, there is usually no need for flex pipe. Flex might be easier to use, but will restrict the air flow in your system due to internal turbulence in the pipe. You mention you have an 8" main duct. To run to the machines, I would use at least 6" duct, and the machines really need the pickups enlarged to 6" as well. If you have an 8" main you probably have a large blower and cyclone. If you try to run 4" pipe, you will choke most of the airflow capability out of your blower.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 02-06-2017 at 9:17 AM.

Mike, the flex hose Wynn Environmental sells is a good product and good value. I prefer the Urethane but all types are good and 10ft or 25ft length is available. Their bridge clamps are also good quality