Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch left the Woodworking Shows

Bosch left the Woodworking Shows

I decided to attend the Woodworking Show in Columbus because I had a meeting there and scheduled to meet up with Creekers Andy and Chris. The meeting was boring, the Creekers nice, and the Woodworking Show was a total dud because Bosch, Ohio Tool, and the book seller didn't attend this year. I enjoy talking with the Bosch guys who let you know about upcoming tools, etc.

So which vendors did attend? Veritas did attend and that save me a fortune because the butt joint chisels were an item of envy until I put them in my hand. Now, there is no interest at all in the butt chisels. Powermatic and Jet stationary tools were on display. If you like Peachtree and all their import junk and the salvage sale at the back of the show, you might like it. Lots of local woodworker groups there, as were a few local peddlers of vintage tools, and some home improvement suppliers. I find the home and garden show much better than this and won't attend next year.

I quit the WWS shows 3-4 years ago in lieu of Woodwerks winter expo on the same weekend. Stopped over there this morning and a Festool TS55 followed me out the door and jumped into the truck.

I keep saying I am not going any more because it has fallen off drastically but for some reason I feel guilty if i do not go. I always pick up my usual supplies from Peachtree such as wood glues, gloves and turners tape. Just something I have been doing for years. Then I walk over to festool display as droll over the Kapex saw every year I say one of these days it is coming home with me. I maybe too old to use it when it does though. I do pick up some wood every once in awhile. You can get decent deals if you get there early.
    John T.

John,

Festool wasn't at this show; apparently they chose to be at WoodWerks instead. I really did try to decide between WoodWerks and the show and picked the show. Someone who wanted my last Lie Nielsen plane was supposed to be there but failed to materialize or answer his phone.

Living in Cincinnati with a Rockler store, Woodcraft store, Edward B. Mueller store and Woodworking In America every year or two I see no reason to go.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I was planning to go to the show in Columbus but decided that the discount and shipping savings on the few things I was going to buy at Peachtree would not offset the cost admission and my gas to get there, about $25 in gas, so I decided to just order on line. Besides they would and have in the past charged sales tax at the Columbus show that I do not have to pay on line either.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-28-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I went to the one in KC last week only to pick up the little things. I never have seen a show with great bargains on larger tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I keep saying I am not going any more because it has fallen off drastically but for some reason I feel guilty if i do not go.
    Good for you. I warned people out here on the West Coast who groused about poor attendance that if they didn't attend, the show would stop altogether. Well, it has. We don't get to go at all anymore.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-28-2017 at 8:52 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stan,

I like seeing the larger tools and talking to the representatives at the shows. The Woodworking Show in KC is where I ordered a Hammer K3 Winner saw that they had on display. While there was no discount, or none you couldn't duplicate online, it was nice to see the show. Bosch doesn't discount their tools much when they attended, but you could make up the price of the show if you purchased one there. I went out of loyalty, but as Dave says in the Cincinnati area we don't have to travel. That's even after Hardwood, Lumber, and More closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I went to the one in KC last week only to pick up the little things. I never have seen a show with great bargains on larger tools.

I think beginners benefit more from going to the woodworking shows than people who've been in the hobby for a while. They also buy more things that they'll likely never use . I imagine the woodworking shows suffer from the same problem that computer shows have had; internet vendors and online videos.

I always enjoy the show. The free demos and talks are what keep me going. I wish they would come out with a COMPLETE schedule so I could plan, as closest show is a five hour drive and overnight stay away. Last year went to Chantilly. It happened to be younger daughter's birthday, who lives about an hour away. Set it up with her to meet us at show, and surprise her mother. GREAT birthday gift for both! When the show started, it was the only place to touch a machine as they were ordered through industrial distributors. No internet, which is what killed shows. Vendor would spend a fortune to do show, and watch as customers took out their phone and to shop for a better price. Kinda like "Best Buy is a showroom for Amazon."

Similar here-we went to the one in W. Springfield MA a couple weeks ago and it has gotten a bit thinner in the last few years. I went for a Oneway revolving tail center for my lathe-only a small discount. Found a few triangular files in the junk section. My best find is a Pennsylvania Saw Corp. #400 1-man timber saw with the accessory handle intact at the used tool vendor. Very good shape-appeared to have been little used-$25. Took it home, cleaned and sharpened it and put it to work on the local ski trails in the state land near home. You can see it action here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVU-N_kxVsw
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I went to the show in MA. Hadn't been in a few years and probably won't go again...very disappointing. A number of the major woodworking tool vendors weren't there and couldn't find any deals that you couldn't find waiting on a sale from Rockler or Woodcraft. Spent more time driving to and from the show than actually walking the floor.

Aaron

Hi Rich, I find the same thing about Canadian shows, not worth attending.

Woodworking shows seem to be failing for 2 reasons

- online shopping

- what Diann calls the "Old white guy in a plaid shirt gathering". There are less of us old white guys in plaid shirts every year. I live in a metro area and most young people live in an apartment or condo, and aren't interested in manual skills.........Rod.

The show in Columbus is the only one I've ever attended - that was ~1985. I saw my first Minimax tools there - instant lust.