Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Hose with sleeve - cheap home made version

Festool Hose with sleeve - cheap home made version

Like many users, I've always found the Festool hose and cable drags/catches on work surface corners. Not exactly a major issue, more of a minor pain. I didn't want to shell out $250 for the Festool sleeve, especially as I already had the hose/cable. After looking at the Felder Owners Group solutions and various recommendations, I went for home made. For those that are interested in the products I used, the sleeve was $28 for 25ft from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I used Uxcell Heat Shrink tube at each end of the hose to hold everything in place. This cost $5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You have to take the nozzles off the 27mm antistatic hose to complete the work but the end result is a smooth hose that slides easily over sharp corners without losing any flexibility. Cost is $33 total and takes about 30mins

20170128_160721.jpg

https://www.wirecare.com/category/braided-sleeving

Wire Care has more options and is cheaper, particularly if you have multiple hoses to cover.

Best thing you can do for any tools with detachable cords like Festool and Mirka. I have multiple hoses set up this way with different cords and hose sizes. I need to get around to putting Plug-It pigtails on my other tools that use dust collection.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yep, got the same done for my hoses/cords. Got the material cheaper than that though. Look around, there are less expensive sources. Its just TechFlex and heatshrink.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've been looking to do this as well. Van, the link you gave goes to a page with many options. Is there one of those that you've used and recommend? Some look very similar to the braided sleeve that Andy used.

Thanks,

Len

Great idea - thanks for posting.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    I've been looking to do this as well. Van, the link you gave goes to a page with many options. Is there one of those that you've used and recommend? Some look very similar to the braided sleeve that Andy used.

Thanks,

Len
    https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...pose/flexo-pet

This is just the standard Flexo-PET and is what most everyone uses and what is sold by sellers like the one on Amazon and Toolnut, some are a different companies product but the basic stuff is all pretty much the same. Wire Care also sells the shrink wrap as well.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for posting the alternate cheaper sources. There are plenty of options as evidenced by the replys. The thing to watch for is it doesn't change the flex of the hose - which some sleeves do

The sleeve that Andy links to comes up at $14 for me with Prime shipping.

I just ordered the sleeve and the heat shrink...the price was right... $0 with AMEX points. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime now, so thanks the posting this thread!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-29-2017 at 9:45 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    The thing to watch for is it doesn't change the flex of the hose - which some sleeves do
    Very true. I used TechFlex 1-3/4" Gorilla sleeve to pair a tracksaw plug-it cord with a Festool 36mm non-antistatic hose. While it certainly does a good job of helping eliminate snags, it has made the vac hose far less flexible. The combination really exhibits a sort of memory when I unroll it and has a preferred orientation depending on whether I am using it suspended from overhead vs. directly on the floor. I'm sure I sacrificed flexibility for abrasion resistance somewhere along the line.

IMG_0247.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-29-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

i use Velcro ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The sleeve that Andy links to comes up at $14 for me with Prime shipping.

I just ordered the sleeve and the heat shrink...the price was right... $0 with AMEX points. I've been thinking about doing this for sometime now, so thanks the posting this thread!
    Price drop on Aisle 10 :-) Must have just missed that - oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Very true. I used TechFlex 1-3/4" Gorilla sleeve to pair a tracksaw plug-it cord with a Festool 36mm non-antistatic hose. While it certainly does a good job of helping eliminate snags, it has made the vac hose far less flexible.
    This is a case where cheaper is actually better. Some of the higher quality more abrasion resistant versions like Gorilla Sleeve indeed reduce the flexibility of the hose, the bigger the hose the worse it gets.

Andy:

Thanks for reminding me to do this. On another thread, about three years ago, I first read about doing this, and I bought the sleeve and heat shrink tubing. And it's sat next to my SCMS for three years, untouched.

So you motivated me, and I put it together. Took a half hour, if that, and works great.
    Festool Hose.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Glad it worked out, Alan - although, like you, I was motivated by other threads and the high cost of the genuine Festool article.

I have what perhaps may turn out to be a really dumb question, but... So, i have a number of Festool tools and of course some have cords with different plug. I haven't stopped to figure out how many different ones there are but I suspect 2 or 3. So, how do folks who've used the sleeve deal with having a different cord/plug to use from time to time. Multiple hoses/sleeves to accommodate the variety of cords/plugs? Insert multiple cords in the sleeve?