Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your uses for the LA Jack

Your uses for the LA Jack

As part of my trip to "LaLa land" (the LN tool event in Chicago), I was impressed with the demo and performance of the LN LA Jack plane and of course, they made me buy it....
    I'm curious how you guys use that plane? As you know, bevel up, low angle, no chip breaker like the STANLEY 62...Not a conventional bench plane.
    Tell me how, when you use and your experiences with it..Its being shipped to me so I cannot try yet..But I'm full of anticipation..Thanks for your input,
    Jerry

I have the LV version, but the utility is the same. I use it for shooting more than anything else, but it makes a great Jack plane (go figure) and a decent short jointer. I use it as a smoother with a high angle blade for tough grain. An LA jack is very versatile.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    My LN #62 is used mostly for shooting. It does well as a jack plane for joining or smoothing. Since there are boatload of #5s in my shop the #62 is generally saved for the jobs at which it excels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use my LN #62 for smoothing gnarly grained woods (followed with a scraper plane) and jointing short boards. I have a dedicated LV shooting plane, so don't use it for shooting, although it would be excellent as it handles end grain really well. It took me a long time to finally buy it, as I have a #5 1/2 and #7 with 45 and 50 degree frogs and a toothing blade that I can use in both, as well as a #4, but once I bought it I find myself reaching for it quite often. However I don't have blades with different bevels for it as yet, as suggested by a number of users.

I have the LV and use it as an all-purpose jack, and as a short jointer and shooter. It is my go-to for anything of size before smoothing.

The Kool Aid does call, doesn't it Jerry. Just don't book any flights to Guyana, OK?
    David

Honestly, I use mine for everything. Make no mistake, I own a no. 4 (which I love) and a bevel up jointer and a couple no.5's. But I use my bevel up jack for most everything, cause it's so handy.
    Paul

I use my la jack mostly as a small jointer.

I have a toothed blade for it that does a good job of flattening without tearing out.

It is heavier than other jacks I have which is good for some things and less desirable for other ops like thicknessing for me.

I keep a non-cambered blade in mine - it is primarily used as a shooting plane and a small jointer. I have the LV version
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Excels at end grain work shooting, cleaning up dovetails, etc.
    Don't use it much anymore for face grain planing.

Blog Entries
    I cambered the blade a lot and I use it for rough work that I don't want to use my wooden planes on....for fear of damage to my wooden planes.

If I need to rip a 1/4" of material off of a thin stock, I do so with that LA jack.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I use it primarily with the toothed blade and mostly with gnarly woods. I alternate it with a Bailey #5 (toothed work straight blade work, etc...).

Nothing preventing me from using only the LN LAJ, but I find it convenient not to switch blades all the time. I use a #7 for shooting but the LN does that well.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Another thought some have expressed is the lower center of gravity with a LA BU plane. This may be of a help to some when edge joining.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I got serious about handtools, the LN 62 and a LN block plane were the first quality planes I purchased, and the only well working plane I owned. For multiple projects (workbench, and tables) the 62 did everything...face plane, edge joint, shooting. On reasonably well behaved grain, it can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    The Kool Aid does call, doesn't it Jerry. Just don't book any flights to Guyana, OK?
    You are so right David!!!!!
    Jerry