Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find in woodpile

Blog Entries

Find in woodpile

Carrying in some firewood I ran across a nice straight grained chunk of black walnut, split into almost a perfect square. Unfortunately it was just over a foot long. First time I ever tried any natural wood on the BS. Jointed one side of the "log" flat then ripped 5 pieces at 3/4". Then jointed one side flat then planed it to thickness, and ripped off the rough edges. Wishing I had done it a week ago, it killed me to buy a small piece for $11 to make contrasting wedges for my pinned tenons for my pool table base. So now I have five little pieces of contrasting wood for a future project, biggest is 3/4 x 4 x 12. Satisfying little project. I stickered it to let it dry. Just for grins I checked the moisture, it was only 7-10 percent.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-28-2017 at 9:51 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I ran a retail Garden Center for almost 25 years. We sold the little bundles of fire wood used for outdoor fire pits. I was always bringing home a bundle or two. Amazing what good size chunks of Walnut, Oak or other woods you could find.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We're like my 2 year old and reading books - we need pictures!

Ole,

It looks as though you tried to upload something but it didn't work. You know the expression, "it didn't happen without photos."

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ... First time I ever tried any natural wood on the BS. Jointed one side of the "log" flat then ripped 5 pieces at 3/4". Then jointed one side flat then planed it to thickness, and ripped off the rough edges. Wishing I had done it a week ago, it killed me to buy a small piece for $11 to make contrasting wedges for my pinned tenons for my pool table base. So now I have five little pieces of contrasting wood for a future project, biggest is 3/4 x 4 x 12. Satisfying little project. I stickered it to let it dry. Just for grins I checked the moisture, it was only 7-10 percent.
    Good fun! Once you start processing and drying green wood there is no end. I have a woodmizer but use my shop band saw to slice up a lot of free green wood, mostly for turning but also for some flat stock. I have racks of wood blocks drying and tubs full of dry flats.

I don't use the jointer but use several ways on the bandsaw to make the first side flat. I usually lay the log flat but it's easier if the unsplit "firewood" will stand upright on the saw table. This thread has some discussion; I have some pictures of this method:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...90#post2618090

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I usually lay the log flat but it's easier if the unsplit "firewood" will stand upright on the saw table. This thread has some discussion; I have some pictures of this method:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...90#post2618090

JKJ
    Thanks John! This was helpful to me!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Turners know to always check out the firewood pile...there are sometimes extraordinary things lurking in there! And the same should be true for "flat" woodworkers. While the pieces may be small, there is always the opportunity to find something that will be the "icing on the cake" for some project or need. And the price is usually good, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Slicing a log section horizontally

I took these pictures a few weeks ago showing cutting up a log section into turning blanks. This is sugar maple I left out to spalt, cut horizontally down the middle for longer sections. My bandsaw will cut up to 12" diameter.

I draw a line down the middle first and cut it in half.
    processing_B01.jpg

I whittle at one edge if necessary so it will ride nicely against the fence.
    processing_B02.jpg

Start cutting with it against the fence, somewhere in the middle of the half.
    Clean up one edge, then reverse and clean up the other (pulled the bark off).
    processing_B03.jpg processing_B04.jpg

Now cut whatever blanks I can get.
    processing_B05.jpg processing_B06.jpg processing_B07.jpg

Some of the wood from that piece is at the bottom right of this picture, put up to dry.
    processing_B08.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    We're like my 2 year old and reading books - we need pictures!
    Hmm, shows up on my feed, is the image showing up on the OP for anyone else? (I tried just copy and pasting the image so it wouldn't show up small like a thumbnail does.) Let me insert it as a thumbnail:

walnut.JPG

Looks like a perfect application for a U shaped sled with two runners, with a couple of cradles to hold the log in place.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-29-2017 at 6:20 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

On pic shows now. Nice color variations.

You are heading down a slippery slope:

It's tough to resist the pull. Tread carefully.

John

Blog Entries
    Then you need to build a kiln, then you realize you really want a bandsaw, and a grapple skid steer, and on it goes...

Nice saw and stash of wood by the way.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You are heading down a slippery slope:
    It's tough to resist the pull. Tread carefully.
    Yes, warn him, warn him before it's too late.

And then friends come out of the woodwork and bring truckloads and logs. It never ends.

sawmill_blanks.jpg sawmill_blocks.jpg cedar_P9064287es.jpg maple_log.jpg

JKJ

Really envious to see all this wood and the harvesting of trees and downed timber.

John, is that a home made setup? If not, what is the make/model of the jig? It looks simple, mobile and effective.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"