Thread: LOOK OUT Prices of old tools going up.

LOOK OUT Prices of old tools going up.

Last week on popular TV program they found an old hand plane and said there was a resurgence in hand tool woodworking. If a plane had a makers mark it could be worth A LOT OF MONEY.
    Now everyone selling old hand planes will think they are worth a mint.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Already happened.

Blog Entries
    Sad thing is most people won't know a makers mark from an owners mark. They also won't know the person on the popular TV program likely didn't know what he was talking about.

Then there are those who will think $10 is a lot of money 'cause grandpa only paid $3 for it.

Then there will be the truly delusional who will insist their dirty old piece of wood that used to be a plane is worth $100, "because they saw it on TV."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have a bottle that says 'Makers Mark' that is worth a lot of money but that's only because it's still mostly full.

Does that count?

Yabbut,Dave,it doesn't say WHICH maker.

I belong to a hand plane collectors group on facebook that is going nuts right now. I think a lot of this has been going on for a while though. I remember going to a local flea market 20 years ago where a guy had a really badly rusted #1. I think he wanted $500 for it and wouldn't budge because it said $600 in his book he waved at me. The really nice ones were going for $600 at the time. Not sure I would have bought it for $50, but I'm not a collector.