Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Little moulder...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    It should weigh less that 8,000. I picked up a 5 head GA with a 6,000lb forklift. It was max capacity for the lift.

That's like the only info I can't find. I will run it across the scales tomorrow when it's on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Check with a local millwright to get it in. It's not that heavy, but by the time you get done screwing around with renting something heavy enough to move it, or another lift, they might be able to get it slid into place for basically a wash.
    I am usually the person that gets a call when someone needs to move something heavy locally.

You following me around Darcy?

Darcy, you and about 99 guys and 100 cases of beer should get it in the building no problem.

Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.
    May be closer to 7k pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.

There's a video of a guy on the back of a forklift acting as a counter weight. The lift starts to tip anyways. Load starts to slip off the forks, dude on back slips under the wheels, load slips off, dude gets crushed.

Being close to weight makes me think of that. Not that you'd do it, just wanted to share my morbid thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    You probably already know the majority of the weight is on the motor side. If you can pick up the motor side to the back rest you may me able to lift it with your lift.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

There's a video of a guy on the back of a forklift acting as a counter weight. The lift starts to tip anyways. Load starts to slip off the forks, dude on back slips under the wheels, load slips off, dude gets crushed.

Being close to weight makes me think of that. Not that you'd do it, just wanted to share my morbid thoughts.

It's moved a Mattison 404 before, which is about 6400 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    You probably already know the majority of the weight is on the motor side. If you can pick up the motor side to the back rest you may me able to lift it with your lift.
    I ran the truck and trailer over the scales today, 21,900.

I belive I am just under 15k empty.

Found a 8k pound lift that I forgot my buddy had.

Might wait until tomorrow to deal with it.

After I chained it down, before I pulled out of the building.

Got it sitting on the slab outside my shop door. Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Buckle up, big ol' thread drift.

Is it weird I'm jealous of your aluminum flatbed?

I'm going to have to buy a new pickup sometime in the next few years since the current pickup has almost 300k miles on it and is starting to look a little too redneck n' rusty for my clientele. I've been kicking around getting a cab and chassis and putting an flatbed on it. Do you find yourself missing the box? I've been thinking it'd be nice in the here and there scenario I can load a unit of lumber from the side.

Buckle up, big ol' thread drift.

Is it weird I'm jealous of your aluminum flatbed?

I'm going to have to buy a new pickup sometime in the next few years since the current pickup has almost 300k miles on it and is starting to look a little too redneck n' rusty for my clientele. I've been kicking around getting a cab and chassis and putting an flatbed on it. Do you find yourself missing the box? I've been thinking it'd be nice in the here and there scenario I can load a unit of lumber from the side.

That is my uncle's truck and trailer. I needed a deck over for this plus he didn't care if it sat a few days as he doesn't use it much.
    My main tow rig is my 1978 Chevy crew cab dually.

My next truck will be a crew cab with a 10 or 12 foot flatbed, that way I can sit something on it or hook up a gooseneck or my bumper pull.
    I prefer a flatbed.

Moulder is now inside my shop.

Nothing a bit of lumber, pipe, pallet jack and a little bit too small fork lift can't handle.

Finally got moulder moved to its permanent location. Ran 100 feet of 2" EMT, got a 125a breaker, pulled wire and got it hooked up.

I have an issue with the top head starter, it does not want to pull in.

I will need to replace bearings in the first inside head and universal head soon.

Need to get my hustle on, I have about 6k feet of material to run in a few weeks.