Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VSPP - Veritas Small Plow Plane

I bought one about a year ago with all of the (imperial) bells & whistles. Other than playing around with it some when I first got it, I've only had the chance to use it one time. I have to say, I really liked it. I also have a vintage 45 with a number of cutters which I always thought was kind of fussy to use but, as they often do, LV seems to have built on and improved the old. You'd have to pry my VSPP from my cold dead hands.

Large Plow??? I hadn't heard anything about that yet.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Why would anyone need a large plow plane. My Veritas small plow plane does everything I've ask it to. It plows grooves and with the tongue iron in it does tongues. It also does a great job making rabbets.

I think I'll just make do with what I have on hand...
    Blonde Curls.JPG
    Have had a bunch of these to do. lately..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Oh, and a few of these, too..
    dado.JPG
    Fairly easy to do...
    depth stop.JPG

Used the same plane to run a bit of molding, too..
    sash cutter.JPG
    Cutter is the sash cutter.

Just might do me, for now......

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Large plow? Is this confirmed? I remember some rumor, but nothing verifiable. I would buy one. As for the tongue cutter, I say get the set before buying a dedicated tongue and groove plane. You could always sell the set if you don't like them.
    Large plow confirmed....should be fall or before. I did post some pictures somewhere a few months ago...

Cheers,

Rob
    (40C in Uluru today.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Large plow confirmed....should be fall or before. I did post some pictures somewhere a few months ago...
    Indeed you did, in this thread.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I will not post pics without the go-ahead of Rob and co (I have a pre-production version, and changes may still take place), but I can say that it has 14 brass knobs! And the best depth adjuster I have seen for a long time.

Why would anyone need a large plow plane. My Veritas small plow plane does everything I've ask it to. It plows grooves and with the tongue iron in it does tongues. It also does a great job making rabbets.
    This one is almost 'drop a blade in and go'. And it does much more than the Small Plow. Where the Small Plow is nimble, the Large Plow has power, yet retains that delicate feel as it is not that much larger.

That's about as much as a teaser I will offer at this time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Here are my thoughts and musings after a bit more time with the Veritas Small Plow Plane.

A small plow plane can be a very useful tool. Anyone building paneled doors, case sides boxes or drawers will appreciate the ease of plowing slots or adding decorative beads on their projects.

At the beginning of my writing on the VSPP my experience with some no longer made plow planes was mentioned. To me, the VSPP is most comparable to the Stanley #50 which is a Stanley version of a small plow plane. In my experience on some jobs a small plow plane is not only quite capable, it is preferred.

There are a couple of things, in my opinion, that could be different is the 1/4” tongue-cutter. It measured 0.791” wide which is good for 3/4” stock. Some of my nominal 1” wood is wider.

There is a hex drive screw used to secure the depth stop holding assembly. When trying to install the chip diverter used with the tongue-cutting blade it was helpful I had a 3/32" driver to adjust this screw a bit. Including an allen key would be helpful for those who might not have the correct size.

The following replies have been edited to make my response easier to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

A question that seems to come up at times about this plane is if it can use blades made for the Stanley #45 or #55.

The answer is not as simple as yes or no.
    jtk
    While out in my shop with another woodworker looking at planes including the VSPP an attempt was made to use a fluting blade. It protrudes too far beyond the skate to be of use. The Stanley tongue-cutters and sash cutters have about as much protrusion beyond the cut out to work properly. Grinding them back would be a lot of good metal lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I, for one, would be interested to hear more of your thoughts of how the LV compares to the 45, 50 & 55.

Take care,
    Fred
    To me the Veritas Small Plow Plane is more on par with the #50 than the #45 or #55. The #50 does have nickers available. For most uses the nickers on my plow planes are not used. A knifed line along the edges usually leaves a neater looking cut.

The #55 is a plane all to itself with the movable skate being adjustable up and down to accommodate non-symmetrical molding blades.

I like the smaller plow plane for plowing slots for drawer bottoms and such. Even light beading seems like less work with a smaller plane. When working with wide, large bead or reeding (multiple bead) blades a hefty plane seems the better choice. The #45 & #55 are larger planes with a bit more heft for heavier work. The Veritas Large Plow Plane may be the modern day answer for those who do heavier work.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks Derek. I'm considering this purchase and anticipate using it both with and against the grain. Just seeing if you thought it best to purchase extra blades for back beveling.
    Along with Derek Cohen’s answer of using a back bevel, when going against the grain, problematic grain or cross grain it can be helpful to knife cut the sides of the blade’s path. This helps to avoid side wall tear out and splintering.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The large plow plane will likely have a wider array of blades. Hopefully it will also allow the movable skate to slide under the blade. I like using a blade wider than my intended rabbet with both skates on the work. The large plow plane looks like it will also have nickers. These are handy for cross grain work.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I think I'll just make do with what I have on hand...

Just might do me, for now......
    That was also my feeling. Then one day my favorite antique mall had a #50 priced lower than I could refuse. My original thought was if it didn’t work out it could likely be sold for a profit. Well, it is still in my shop with no intentions toward selling.

If you see one Steven, don’t let it get away if it is priced right. You may not want to resell it once you use it.

Derek Cohen on the Large Plow:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    This one is almost 'drop a blade in and go'. And it does much more than the Small Plow. Where the Small Plow is nimble, the Large Plow has power, yet retains that delicate feel as it is not that much larger.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Small - nimble
    Large - power

Well said thank you,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I will not post pics without the go-ahead of Rob and co (I have a pre-production version, and changes may still take place), but I can say that it has 14 brass knobs! And the best depth adjuster I have seen for a long time.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    And here I was going to try to go the rest of the year without buying any more planes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    And here I was going to try to go the rest of the year without buying any more planes.
    I don't even try that for a weekend out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)