Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no love for Rikon?

Why no love for Rikon?

I am looking for a bandsaw and am probably going to buy a vintage American saw or a Laguna...Or an Italian saw if I can save up that much money. So I don't have a horse in the race.

But I don't understand why I run into so many woodworking people who have a negative opinion of the Rikon Saws. They seem like a rather solid product, especially at that price point.

Also, for as versatile as they are it seems like very few woodworks talk about bandsaw very much.

Does anyone have any idea why bandsaws are not more common topics of woodworking conversation and why so many people have a negative opinion of Rikon?

Thanks to everyone who responds!

Chris

There are numerous bandsaw discussions here, do a search on it. I bought the little 10" Rikon as a secondary BS when it first came out. Within a year the tires cracked and fell off. Rikon sent me new tires with wheels attached and it's been a good saw since. That said, it's things like that that hurt a reputation.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-30-2017 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Spellin'
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Personally, I am a fan of Rikon saws for the price, they are often the ones I recommend in a specific price range, that is since they revised the guides last year. Prior to that their guides were poor and it often knocked them out of being the best value at a price point. With this fixed they tend to be at the top of my recommendation list in the 900-2000k range. So the guides were indeed and issue, which is fixed and beyond that I haven't seen much if any negatives and customer service seems to be pretty solid. Both their professional 14" and 18" saws are among the best at their price point with the professional 18" being the best saw around $2k, my favorite at the 2K price range used to be the Hammer 4400 but I honestly like the Rikon better in many ways and the Hammer priced has gone up since it was my $2k favorite.

There are never enough BS threads IMO but there are quite a few around here.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-30-2017 at 5:24 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yea I just didnt even consider them after I read a couple bad stories around the net and didnt see many praises. I saved my money for a Hammer.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the 10-345 (18" 2.5 hp) and has been a good saw for me. It will resaw 10" cherry at 1/16" all day - - or at least longer than I can.

It is the best I've used - - but I've never used old saws or the high dollar jobs - - so take this for what it's worth.

Only complaint is it needs a start interlock to the tensioner. I am procrastinating adding it myself, but should be fairly simple.

I have the 14" saw. Bought it 4 years ago and it does everything I ask of it. Had a minor problem the first year and they talked me thru it on the phone. I'd buy it again.

Fred

I have the 10-325. Have resawed lots of cherry at 12" for door panels. Love it!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I looked at what I could get from them and decided that for the price, I liked the Grizzly better (G0555X). I bought the Griz and never looked back.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Another Rikon owner here. Love my 14" 10-326 and benchtop sander. My primary wood is rock maple. Doesn't bat an eye at it. Of course, it is more about blades than how a saw spins.

I just bought a little Rikon 10" bandsaw for a specific project and I still can't wrap my head around how they can make a saw, and then another company can sell it for $220, and everyone still makes a profit??? Comparatively speaking I need a replacement guide on my small horizontal bandsaw and for that small cast iron part it's almost $100! So the fact that it cuts wood for that price is pretty amazing, but it actually runs pretty good as well. I wouldn't want it for a main saw, but for someone who just does small hobby projects I think they'd get a lot of use from it.

good luck,
    JeffD

I know a couple of folks with the 14" Rikons and they love them. If I were starting out again, I would probably buy one....

I have a Rikon 18" 10-345 and I like it alot. Well built. Plenty of power and its a beast when it comes to resawing.
    My only complaint is with the guide adjustment system. I don't like the cam type adjuster.

This is all really good to know!

Did not think that I was insane when I looked at them and they seemed seemed​ like a decent saw.

I cant recall hearing anything negative about them. What i recall is only good things, especially the bang for your buck 18" model.

I have what many people think is the Rikon. My is a 14" C-Man though it matches up to the smaller 14" version. It only has the 6.5" resaw, which at the time I thought was enough. I did outfit it with the Carter system and really like it. The issue with this model is the limited supply of blades made for it. So far I have only used only Craftsman brand. I may order a few custom ones in the future. i am planning on buying either the 14' or 18" Rikon in the future. Dan