Thread: Who made this drill and what time frame?

Who made this drill and what time frame?

Here's a real test for you. A guy I work with bought this at a local swap meet (local as in Brunssum, Netherlands) and brought it to me. I enjoy restoring hand drills, but to date it's been all MF. I assume this is German made, but no markings. I found it interesting because I couldn't figure out how it came apart...at first, and because the small gear was enclosed. The tab on top of the gear held the gear in place. Once it was removed (the flat round disc looking thing on top of the tab is actually a screw) it exposed the gear. The gear has a small screw holding it to the shaft.

The next interesting thing is the chuck. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it is a springed three-jaw chuck similar to a Parsons chuck. The interesting part is the shell is one piece. I can't figure out how to get the jaws out. If you notice on the side the shaft goes in it looks like a fat pin sticking up. The shaft has a hollow end that this pin sits in. From there it operates as a normal chuck.

The drill turned smoothly which is amazing considering how gunked up it was. The design is simple, but very effective. It's 10 1/2 inches long and the main gear is 3 1/2 inches. I assume it is a 1/4 inch chuck.

IMG_6174.jpgIMG_6175.jpgIMG_6176.jpgIMG_6182.jpgIMG_6185.jpgIMG_6180.jpgIMG_6186.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help with who made your drill, but I can tell you two things. The crank handle is either not original or the knob of the handle is an add on. Unfortunately, companies often put their names on the crank handle, so if yours is an add on, you may not ever know what you have unless you see a picture in an old catalogue.

The chuck is two piece, it is just rusted together. The smaller base piece below the knurling screws off. It is hard to tell in your photo but sometimes the bottom of the chuck has two holes on the rim for a specialized wrench to turn the base off. The holes on your chuck may be full of rust. There are a couple of spots on your photo of the base of the chuck that could be those holes.

Good luck, it is fun to bring these things back to life.

I'm curious as to why you believe the crank handle is not original?
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    I'm curious as to why you believe the crank handle is not original?
    Jim
    I think the crank is original, but the knob is probably a replacement. You can't tell from the pics, but it is oversized and basically looks like a cutoff with a hole drilled in it. The bolt may be original as a way to move it closer to the center of the gear (notice the additional hole which is the same size as the one with the knob).