Thread: Stanley #95 Edge Trimming Block Plane

Stanley #95 Edge Trimming Block Plane

Stanley#95 Edge trimming block plane, 6"L, 1 1/16"W, 1 1/4lbs, 1911-1961. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan11.htm

Shown in the following photo is one of the earlier #95 manufactured by Stanley, with the characteristic script logo on the bottom left corner, as well as the patent date of U.S.PAT.5.14.12 cast into the back of the plane. The blade itself is also stamped the earliest logo used by Stanley within the time line outlined above.

The plane is still in excellent user condition, bar some major loss of the original black enamel on the main body. The keeper plate looks to have faired much better over those long years of prior use. It would be considered unwise to apply a new coat of black enamel given this planes vintage, so I chose a totally different option that would seek minimal change within its overall appearance. 1st up was to dismantle the ancillary parts of the #95 from its main casting.

All the parts were then washed down with Denatured Alcohol. The shiny bits were put into a container of Evapo-Rust for a couple of hours to detox, while the main body and keeper plate were taped up around the areas that were to be protected from an application of bare metal darkening fluid.

Within a few minutes of application a rust oxide will form on those areas that were down to bare metal. Don't be alarmed, as that will be easily removed later on. Let the darkening solution do is work unhindered for about 5 - 10 minutes.

All parts are then cleaned down thoroughly with Turps, before drying, then a normal soft wax applied liberally, and left over night to check if all of the darkening solution has be neutralized. In the morning, no further rust oxide had re-formed over night, so it was time to apply a buffing wax, and refit all the parts.

Next post to follow;

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-30-2017 at 10:19 PM.

The blade then sharpen and honed to a flat bevel. I didn't pay too close attention to the exact angle worked, but it would been at, or just over 25 degrees. No secondary bevel was worked.

Time to test this plane out. Note that I marked both edge grain directions on the board being worked. The board has a thickness of just over 1". The skewed blade on this plane designed to work no more than 7/8". The plane was set to take a very fine shaving (as it is designed to be used), and no issues of tear-out were evident when worked with or against the grain direction. Some of the twirled shavings coming off this plane were slightly reminiscent of what you would expect to see from a Spill Plane.

The Stanley #95 was only offered in a Right Hand configuration. In more recent times its been re-manufactured by LV and LN, in both Left and Right hand options. To the question as to whether you need to purchase both versions, my personal opinion is no , but each to their own with the choices they make.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...,48945&p=54862
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...nze-edge-plane

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-30-2017 at 9:19 PM.

A beautiful old model, respectfully restored. I love that old script.

Thanks Jim for the feedback.

regards Stewie;

The script is a favorite of mine too. Nice job with the refurb. Is the solution you used similar to blueing for firearms?

I use these planes a fair amount, and you do need both left- and right cutting versions. The low cutting angle makes them especially vulnerable to tearout when the grain reverses. Planing into the grain is a problem. The correct hand helps greatly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Michael L. Martin View Post
    The script is a favorite of mine too. Nice job with the refurb. Is the solution you used similar to blueing for firearms?
    That's correct Michael.

With the depth of cut finely set, the slicing action offered by the skewed blade is highly effective at combating reverse grain tear-out.

Stewie;

It looks like a very useful tool.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    With the depth of cut finely set, the slicing action offered by the skewed blade is highly effective at combating reverse grain tear-out.

Stewie;
    Not in my experience.

The example you show above is with fairly straight-grained wood. I use these planes frequently with Jarrah, She-oak and other interlocked timbers, and planing against the grain is a recipe for tearout.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek; as you were made fully aware, the mods have directed both of us not to submit comments on each others posts.

regards;

Very nice work bringing back to life....a labor of love..
    Jerry

Thanks Jerry; more of an understanding that we aren't doing work for NASA, that overtime natural wood will expand or contract well outside the tighter tolerances being offered by the some of the top of line modern hand tool suppliers. That earlier made tools, such as those produced by Stanley Co. over a period of 120 years + were being made to meet the demands of woodworkers, both then and into the future. That the design within those hand tools were constantly being improved upon to the meet the needs of the woodworker, as outlined by the list of incremental changes that took place within the list of Type Studies that commence from 1888 with the release of Type #1, and ended in 1950 with the release of Type #17.

Is there considered a Golden Era when Stanley Co. produced some of their finest hand tools. Some would suggest that occurred prior to WW2. (1939 -1945)

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-01-2017 at 7:04 AM.