Thread: Battery rebuild

Battery rebuild

What kind of batteries do I buy to rebuild a lithium cordless? Can I just buy just plain ole rechargeable lithium batteries,or do I need special one? Can I get them at WalMart of some place like that? Thanks!

You need to do a lot of research on rebuilding Li cordless batteries and then ask yourself if it is worth the time, effort and potential danger. Keep in mind companies don't rebuild them for a reason.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Seconded. There could be fire and explosions. For real.

Just look for good deals on replacement ones or buy a new tool/system that comes with batteries. LiIon packs are not really easy to repair and can be very dangerous.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've done it a couple of times BUT, I agree with Van's reply.

John

I looked into rebuilding batteries a while back as a side business, but there's just not much profit to be had unless you can buy materials in bulk and have a capacitant discharge welder handy. I've heard good reports of folks using a quality soldering iron on NiCad and NimH batteries, but a CD welder is pretty much the only way to weld the tabs on lithium batteries - if they get too hot they will explode so it has to be a quick weld. There are many places online to buy the sub-C cell batteries that are normally in packs, but lithiums seem to come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You can probably still find them easy enough, but if you want to try it I would find someone with a CD welder that would let you use it for a few minutes. Check with your local heat and air shops. They use them to weld sheet metal for ducting.

Blog Entries
    MTO battery rebuilds some lithium batteries as well as other types. I've had batteries rebuilt by them and am very satisfied with the results.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute