Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubo Bench

Roubo Bench

I started this bench the first of the year. The top is 24x96x6 Ash and the legs are 7x8 Poplar. I believe the Poplar when it ages will be close to the same colar as the Ash. I have on order the hardware for the leg vise.

After gluing up the top in two twelve inch sections I wanted to true them with the jointer. I used the hydraulic cart to support one end when I moved them.
    0051.jpg
    Joint one side flip it and then do the other section.
    039.jpg
    040.jpg
    Gluing the the halves together. This gets me to about 350 lbs.
    037.jpg
    At first I thought i would use a hand saw to block the ends, so I wanted it sharp. After testing the hand saw in hard Ash, I got two friends to help me move the top to the 16 inch RAS.
    041.jpg
    I made this block with phenolic guides for the wagon vise. The grooves where routed into the top before glue up.
    042.jpg
    043.jpg044.jpg
    Move to come

Awesome looking bench build....

This is going to be one massive bench. I'm curious, did you have someone help run the 12" wide beams across your jointer? From the photos, you appear to have one serious shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    This is going to be one massive bench. I'm curious, did you have someone help run the 12" wide beams across your jointer? From the photos, you appear to have one serious shop.
    Joe, I jointed both sections by myself. Once I got them to the jointer they would almost balance on the in feed or out feed bed. The concrete post was there to let me set it on and the lift cart work the same way on the in feed side.
    I really need to paint that jointer.

Left handed bandsaw, or am I missing something?

Impressive shop, and a nice start on that bench too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Left handed bandsaw, or am I missing something?

Impressive shop, and a nice start on that bench too!!!
    Yes Will, the motor is to the right when cutting. Is that left hand? It is a 30 inch Cresent from long ago. I got a good deal on it. $250 I think.
    0451.jpg
    Amish up the road has a Cresent 36 inch. It is massive.

This the end of the wagon vise. It is a one inch acme nut with a large washer welded on it and then recessed into the block. I will turn it around and bolt it in with six inch lag bolts. I use a liberal amount of wax and can't see any problems with this setup. I considered using barrel bolts and I still can if I have any problems. I also debated about bread board ends but I kinda like the looks of the end grain.
    045.jpg
    046.jpg
    The vise is basically done I will make everything flush when I flatten and smooth the top. Also, I have been working on the legs.
    049.jpg
    Tendon cut on one leg. The tendon is about 4x4 inches
    050.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got four of them done.
    004A.jpg
    006A.jpg
    Tendon is 4x4x3
    011A.jpg
    Everything seems nice and square, Suprise!!!
    017A.jpg
    Various drill bits and a sharp chisel gets it done but it takes me awhile.
    008A.jpg
    So far so good.
    010A.jpg
    I went with the benchcraft cross. I believe it was a good move.
    013A.jpg
    I read the instructions on the cross very carefully, which I don't always do. Here I am routing the mortise in the leg. I only removed a little material with the router most was done with a forstner bit.

A little More Done

Preliminary work for the leg vise before I stand the bench on it's legs.
    004a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    I went with 4 stretchers. The outside stretchers are free floating, not pegged, so the legs are free to move with seasonal changes. The inside stretchers are lag bolted at the center of the leg so the leg is free to move each direction from it's center.
    013a.jpg
    She is standing. I moved the whole bench to the floor in one piece. I was afraid I would have difficulty getting the top into all 4 mortises at once.
    021a.jpg
    I glued these pieces in to prevent racking side to side. The grain is oriented the same as the legs and the top. Hopefully, this will allow for movement to match the top. I will let you know in a year or two.
    022a.jpg

Like the stretcher grain orientation, is there any mechanical bond to the legs? If not I would use substantial dowel at 45 degrees from the stretcher into the leg at all 4 stretcher corners. It means at least laying the bench on it's side again, but would make it much stronger. Oak dowels would be my first choice. The darker ellipses would look cool. With conventional stretcher grain orientation the dowel method would be problematic.

William, the long inside stretchers are lag bolted to the legs on the inside of the leg. The twelve 1/2x5 inch lag bolts are located at the centers of the leg. I did this so the legs can expand and contract about it's center with the stretcher not moving along it's length. That is my thinking anyway. The only function of the two long outside stretchers are looks and to hold the future shelving and sliding dead man. The short stretchers between the two pipe clamps are glued into place. They eliminate racking in that direction. It all seems very stable. I know I deviated from the traditional way of doing it. I hope my explanation makes sense.
    Thank You very much for responding and please offer other suggestions.
    Last edited by Brian Brightwell; 03-11-2017 at 1:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brightwell View Post
    William, the long inside stretchers are lag bolted to the legs on the inside of the leg. The twelve 1/2x5 inch lag bolts are located at the centers of the leg. I did this so the legs can expand and contract about it's center with the stretcher not moving along it's length. That is my thinking anyway. The only function of the two long outside stretchers are looks and to hold the future shelving and sliding dead man. The short stretchers between the two pipe clamps are glued into place. They eliminate racking in that direction. It all seems very stable. I know I deviated from the traditional way of doing it. I hope my explanation makes sense.
    Thank You very much for responding and please offer other suggestions.
    Hi Brian,
    Yes it all makes sense. The double stretcher setup adds to the cost but simplifies construction. The short stretcher was the subject of my comment. If it falls out you can always use the dowels!

Blog Entries
    That's one bench that won't be sliding around the shop floor. Mine has a 5"x72x28 top in two halves and each half weighs about 150 pounds. They literally broke the scale as I weighed them. Yours must have been a beast to move.

Bottom Shelf

Worked on the bottom shelf today. I used the same Poplar as the legs and stretchers. Tomorrow I will put a coat of Waterlox on it.
    030S.jpg035S.jpg
    This is the reason I haven't gotten much done lately.
    026S.jpg

Looking good Brian. Is that a new pup?

-Kris-