Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Square

Blog Entries

Speed Square

Just curious.. . .

Do any of you buy the $70+ Woodpecker square or the $9.95 speed square from Lowes?

OBTW, my speed square is at least 10 years old. I think I bought it at Lowes.
    And, it is square.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-31-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    One followed me home from an estate sale for a dollar, maybe less. It has been used once and sits waiting for me to be interested in using it again.

My old try squares and bevel gauges are good enough for me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Just curious.. . .

Do any of you buy the $70+ Woodpecker square or the $9.95 speed square from Lowes?

OBTW, my speed square is at least 10 years old. I think I bought it at Lowes.
    And, it is square.
    I've got a trusty gray plastic one from HD.

I have Woodpeckers $50 Delve Square and love it! It's incredibly handy because of all the features they packed into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogajfMexD1c

I also have 4 of their try squares, from 4" up to 24", which are extremely well made & absolutely dead accurate.

Their Delve Square is on sale again:

http://www.woodpeck.com/delvesquare17.html
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 01-31-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    I do use my 7 1/4" square frequently. I also have 6" squares.

At one time I was building houses and I did sometimes frame a house up. That's when I grew to appreciate the square.
    It frequently rested in the front pocket of a nail apron. I suppose I grew comfortable with the square. If you are cutting
    framing lumber with a "skilsaw", it was really handy.

I put "skilsaw" in quotation marks because mine was a Porter Cable. I still have it. It is an 7 1/4" saw. I also had a 6" Black and Decker.
    It is an original Black and Decker and is a different animal from current ones. I gave it to one of my son's. It would frame a house and never break a sweat.

I did keep the blade guards on my saws, but some framers
    removed their guards. I never saw anyone injured as a result, but it scared me to have one around.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-31-2017 at 3:24 PM.

I'm with Jim: got one cheap, haven't found it all that useful. I was raised on combination squares, which are still my standard approach.

Stew,
    I agree, that little Delve Square is great. I think I got it 2 years ago and it's always on my bench.
    Chet

Working as a Carpenter a long time ago, always had one in the toolbag....now a days? Meh..
    Speed Square.jpg
    I did make one. Used for a job site TS, guide a router, or a circular saw....just 3 pieces of scrap, and a few screws....

Blog Entries
    A speed square is designed for carpenters. It works well at job sites. Machinist squares and I would classify the Woodpecker square in that category is for more precise work. In carpentry if a cut is off by a half a degree it doesn't make a lot of difference. Cabinet making gets a bit more fussy. You can buy high quality drafting triangles that are just as accurate for a lot less.

Since I have left at least one speed square at a habitat job site never to see it again. I don't feel bad donating $10 to them or one of their workers. I would not be happy losing a $70 square.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I agree. I never measure an angle other than 90 degrees with it.
    I have an adjustable triangle I measure other angles with. I also have 45 and 30 degree triangles and a protractor when needed.

I do admire the pretty red squares, and you never know, I might end up buying one.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-31-2017 at 3:57 PM.

I have a fairly accurate (but cheap) aluminum speed square, but like a lot of others I just don't use it much. Try, combination, and double squares cover basically all of my needs.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you Patrick, I do use all of the squares you mention. I have Starrett and an Althol squares which are absolutely square and agree with each other. Althol became Starrett, so they are the same only years apart. My use of the speed square is used when I don't want the quality squares at risk on the bench. I really use the square that is convenient or the one I'm in the mood to use.

I stand by my comments on the speed square, as I have verified them on occasion. The reason for two quality squares is in case one is dropped. I also have a 6" try square from the borg that checks out, but a 6" long square does not provide the precision I am looking for.

Having two expensive squares already, I am not in the mood to spend money on another. I readily admit the pretty red square is alluring.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-31-2017 at 6:27 PM.

I have three woodpecker squares mostly from power tool days. The only one that gets used regularly is the 2"x 3" that I check edge-square with. The others 12" x 8" and triangles are primarily for verifying other jigs and squares and setting saw miters and fences on both power and hand equipment. With the woodpecker, you can buy any number of cheap aluminum squares or speed squares (I have at least 4) and fine tune them on the belt sander with minimal guesswork. I have a 6" starrett that is my main user for marking up.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 01-31-2017 at 7:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    I also have the Woodpecker Mini Square and like you, I check edges with it for square. It is a delightful little tool.

Blog Entries
    Mine comes out about as often as my CMS. I don't often do work that takes advantage of either.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler