Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monkey Pod

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    I'll be in Hawaii in Dec. How do I find some to bring back?
    Depends on what island you are going to, I was there in September and was on Oahu and the big Island. On Oahu all I found was Honolulu Woodcraft which was like no other woodcraft I have been to. No cherry and maple boards there just koa and other beauties. If you go to the big Island there is Aloha Woods Inc on the west side in Kona. It right on the express way and wife just shook her head as I pulled a u turn, It is a warehouse that sells to public, they have any and everything you can think of and a few hundred dollars later they were shipping several LFRB back to me so I didn't have to mess with airplane. You can also contact the woodturning clubs out there but I did not have time to meet up with them. Have fun

Eugene, you're coming in December? You start by checking Craigs list prior to coming, and sometimes you can get it free when someone cuts one down. The Honolulu Woodturners also a very active group there. Also Brent has some good info.
    Send me a message.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    As a follow-up to my original question (which has since been answered) I thought I'd post some photos of two bowls that my friend, Darrel Wood, turned from that batch of monkey puzzle. He has roughly 40 rounds of it here in Port Orchard, Washington. I can't imagine he'll ever get to all of it.

FullSizeRender (11).jpg FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    The first one is a typical middle-of-the-tree piece, while the second one (below) is from the very top of the tree.
    FullSizeRender (13).jpg FullSizeRender (14).jpg

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I've seen the classic "five-pith" designs created with monkey pod, (Albizia samann) but is this species a good wood for regular turning? Does it turn well green?

Could you be talking about monkey puzzle?
    star.gif
    Last edited by George Guadiane; 06-01-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    Could you be talking about monkey puzzle?
    star.gif
    Read post 9 and 10 in this thread George, that should answer your ??
    Have fun and take care

A friend came back from Hawaii with a large turning blank that he said was monkey pod. Even with two dust collectors running, everyone who went into his shop while he was turning it had a strong allergic reaction to the dust. It took me about 30 seconds in his shop before I was a sneezing, snotting mess like I had just walked into a giant cloud of pollen. I don't know exactly what species the wood was, but I've avoided anything with "monkey" or "pod" in the name ever since. My friend had a couple of smaller pieces of the wood that he gave away rather than turn.

Blog Entries
    Russell, the upright shot on the right reminded me so much of the grain in the evergreen root ball that I turned too deep that I almost cried. It had branches almost perfectly spaced like that grain. I chose to go deeper looking for more spalting. Wasn't there.

First post of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    A friend came back from Hawaii with a large turning blank that he said was monkey pod. Even with two dust collectors running, everyone who went into his shop while he was turning it had a strong allergic reaction to the dust. It took me about 30 seconds in his shop before I was a sneezing, snotting mess like I had just walked into a giant cloud of pollen. I don't know exactly what species the wood was, but I've avoided anything with "monkey" or "pod" in the name ever since. My friend had a couple of smaller pieces of the wood that he gave away rather than turn.
    Earpod is a close relative to monkeypod and known to create allergic reactions. The wood is very similar, earpod being a bit nicer in coloration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Earpod is a close relative to monkeypod and known to create allergic reactions. The wood is very similar, earpod being a bit nicer in coloration.
    I brought monkey pod back with me from Hawaii last fall. The minute I started turning it, I was not stop sneezing. The only wood I have found that has bothered me. My cat was sneezing also who is my shop helper, so I made him go upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Wells View Post
    I brought monkey pod back with me from Hawaii last fall. The minute I started turning it, I was not stop sneezing. The only wood I have found that has bothered me. My cat was sneezing also who is my shop helper, so I made him go upstairs.
    Are you SURE you got monkeypod. That is what I was getting at. Some people may not know the difference in the tree. They very similar, the average guy may not know the difference, unless they are producing seed pods.

It was monkey pod for sure, Monkey puzzle looks like Norfolk pine with knots. I have seen enough of it and it was chatoyant with rays. I also purchased the wood from Aloha Hardwoods on the big island while in Hawaii.