Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Doctor Thinks I Should Give Up Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have a hard time believing 1 cup of coffee a day will effect one's health.
    Yep, but as with anything, moderation is the key. Some people drink a lot of coffee and it doesn't seem to bother them while others can't tolerate hardly any caffeine.
    Now if I could only apply moderation to my food intake I'd be better off; coffee isn't a problem for me. Some days 12-16oz. many days none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Yep, but as with anything, moderation is the key. Some people drink a lot of coffee and it doesn't seem to bother them while others can't tolerate hardly any caffeine.
    Now if I could only apply moderation to my food intake I'd be better off; coffee isn't a problem for me. Some days 12-16oz. many days none at all.

I think we overlook the fact that each of us are different, individual. Take allergies for example. What you may be allergic to may not have any ill consequences with me and vise versa. Moderation and finding out what is right for YOU, is key IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I drink coffee. I drink premium whiskey, beer, and wine. I smoke fine cigars. I cook with pork fat and real butter. When I die, I want to choke on something that tastes good.

More seriously, I'm one of those who doesn't get much of a kick from coffee. I can drink it before bed and sleep no differently than when I don't.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

There's an interesting short article in the January 30, 2017 issue of TIME Magazine that suggests that coffee may be a healthy habit and that it appears to help combat aging.

I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-02-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I generally have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, one at home and one at work about 9:30. Rarely, maybe once every other week I'll a third cup in the afternoon. I enjoy it and it causes no problems. My wife on the other hand has type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Fully caffeinated coffee makes her heart flutter with palpitations. She drinks the Folgers Half Caff without any ill effects. YMMV
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    I drink coffee. I drink premium whiskey, beer, and wine. I smoke fine cigars. I cook with pork fat and real butter. When I die, I want to choke on something that tastes good.

More seriously, I'm one of those who doesn't get much of a kick from coffee. I can drink it before bed and sleep no differently than when I don't.
    I'm with you. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, bad beer, bad wine or bad whisky. By the spelling you can tell what kind of whisky I am fond of. Only thing I disagree with is the cigars. In terms of coffee, I drink espresso, straight black, from my own machine. Espresso is lower in both caffeine and acid than drip coffee.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ALl they ever do is tell you don't do this or don't do that. Those things are part of living. I gave up smoking (12 years ago). I still would like to light one up but I know I can't without falling back on that habit. Coffee though, as much as I love it and drink it everyday, I feel I could stop -- but I don't think I would. Like I said, that's part of living for me. Take it away and you take away a part of life. Now if it physically hurts you, you know that even without the doctors advice, and I think that means you do need to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    I'm with you. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, bad beer, bad wine or bad whisky. By the spelling you can tell what kind of whisky I am fond of. Only thing I disagree with is the cigars. In terms of coffee, I drink espresso, straight black, from my own machine. Espresso is lower in both caffeine and acid than drip coffee.
    Like our president says WRONG! None of those things are something you need the best of in order to enjoy. Bad beer is way better than no beer, bad coffee beats the hell out of no coffee! AT least for me.

I guess im on the other side of this.

I try amd find other things to reward myself with and look forward to. I look at all my family other than my mother and they are so hyper focused on food and drink as some kind of reward. Seeing that is all i have ever needed to find something with more meaning as a means of satisfaction.

I know this oppinion or rather stance will not be popular. It works for me, each to his own just dont make me do it.

Do what suits you. I would hazard a guess that those of you that are on and off it don't suffer too many consequences. Me, I used to drink it all the time. Then the migraines started and I mean migraine 5 days out of seven every week. Doc suggested I go off coffee and guess what - no migraines. It is no effort to avoid it if those are the consequences. However, you could be a health crank and lie there at 96 with no friends, dying of nothing.... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I think we overlook the fact that each of us are different, individual. Take allergies for example. What you may be allergic to may not have any ill consequences with me and vise versa. Moderation and finding out what is right for YOU, is key IMO.
    Well said. I can drink 2 cups of coffee and go right to sleep. Of course in a couple hours bladder will be saying "excuse me but.....". SWMBO can't have anything with caffeine after noon if she wants to sleep that night. We did not come off an assembly line and are not identical.

Yeah, coffee doesn't keep me awake at all. I can drink a pot right before bed, and fall right to sleep.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    By the spelling you can tell what kind of whisky I am fond of.
    I often write it as whisk(e)y and almost did so here but laziness won out. I'm a single malt fan, too. Peat monsters. The "nastier" the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Like our president says WRONG! None of those things are something you need the best of in order to enjoy. Bad beer is way better than no beer, bad coffee beats the hell out of no coffee! AT least for me. [emphasis added]
    I was going to write something smart-alecky about not mentioning "need" but upon thinking about: I want to enjoy my beer, my coffee, et al so yeah, it needs to be good. Not necessarily the best...I usually can't afford it...but the gooder the better.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    At one time my choice was a lot easier. A lite beer was fine. After time it seemed a waste to drink beer without taste so my choice was to consume less of beers & ales with more flavor.

Coffee has pretty much been the same when making my own at home. A strong brew of Peet's Major Dickason's blend. Many others, single bean or blends, have been tried. My taste buds always seem to turn me back to Major D's blend.

Many restaurant blends taste like nothing more than warm water to me.

BTW, I take mine very black, not so lightly brewed as can be seen through. Same way as I like my dark beers & ales.

Something like Oatmeal Stout, it's not just for breakfast anymore!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My Dad's side of the family all died young. My dad at 43. His brothers and sisters died before 60 except one who was a smoker and alcoholic.

I just passed my 80th and I like my coffee, 2 cups a day, my beer, wine and good whiskey, usually one drink a day. My favorite food is butter. I'll have an expresso now and then after dinner.

I smoked 2 packs a day for about 25 years and quit about 35 years ago. I don't miss 'em now and I'm sure I'm still alive because I quit cigarettes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7