Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawbench Build

Sawbench Build

Thought I'd do a little build thread for a saw bench I'm building. I've been meaning to make one of these for a while, and I guess now's the time

I'll be building it from some stock I already have on hand and which is not likely to be used in any serious projects. I've got a bit of red oak that's been sitting in the wood rack for some time now- an 11" wide by 4' long slab of red oak, and a couple 5/4 planks about 6" long by 6' long:

1617resize.jpg

One design constraint is that the bench will built from only these three pieces. The 8/4 slab is about perfect for the top, and I think I'll turn the 5/4 planks into wide boards to form the uprights and tenon those into the top, using the remnant 5/4 to make a stretcher running between uprights. It will look more like a sitting bench than a typical sawbench, but it seems the best way given the material constraints.

An "artistic" rendering of what I've got in mind:

DSCN1619resize.jpg

Besides being a (hopefully) useful shop implement, this bench will be an exercise in through-wedged mortise and tenons, which is a joint I'd like to become more proficient with. Aside from that it will be a simple build; I'm not splaying the uprights at all, they will just be 90 degrees to the top. I may do a little shaping to the uprights and stretcher, something like you see in the drawing.

To start with for tonight, I cut the 5/4 planks to rough length so I can glue up the two uprights. A Disston D8 does the work:

DSCN1621resize.jpg

This is how I've chosen to orient the mostly rift sawn planks:

DSCN1622resize.jpg

Now I can work on jointing the edges. Type 6 Stanley No. 8:

DSCN1628resize.jpg

I decided to try an edge jointing method I've seen advocated here by Warren Mickley, Brian Holcombe, and others. Instead of first flattening a reference face and then jointing an edge square to that, I ignore the faces and just concentrate on making the edge flat and without wind. I also make sure it is generally square to the faces, but the critical reference is with winding sticks on the edge:

DSCN1624resize.jpg

The idea is to avoid extra work in flattening each face beforehand, only to again flatten the resulting panel afterwards. I'll just be doing the latter part; we'll see how it goes.

The edge jointing went smoothly and quickly, as it should since these are only 20" long boards. Ready for glue-up:

DSCN1627resize.jpg

And the fruit of tonight's labor:

DSCN1630resize.jpg

That's it for now. A lot of planing ahead

Looks like a fun project. Thanks for the writeup and all the photos.

I need to make one of those. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Thought I'd do a little build thread for a saw bench I'm building. I've been meaning to make one of these for a while, and I guess now's the time
    I need to make one of those. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching!
    Like sawhorses, saw benches will work best in pairs. For long rips three is even better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A sawbench is something I need to build, and yours looks like it will be especially nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    A sawbench is something I need to build, and yours looks like it will be especially nice.
    Another thought when rip cutting with two benches... There needs to be room for the saw under the second saw bench. Otherwise the tip of the saw may bump any cross member under top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Excellent! I will enjoy following along with your build.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Jim, I can definitely see the advantage of having a pair of these. I'm hoping the large size of this one allow it to suffice for most furniture-size stuff, ripping off of the side primarily. It will also be a secondary workbench, and something I can easily take with me in the truck.

Blog Entries
    I made a saw bench and a small horse the same size. The horse is a krenov saw horse.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/media/p...esawhorses.pdf

I made my sawhorse out of 3/4" white pine and it has never failed. I've had it for 10 years.
    The horses pictured in his book "The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" are the ones I copied.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-01-2017 at 4:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

Jim, I can definitely see the advantage of having a pair of these. I'm hoping the large size of this one allow it to suffice for most furniture-size stuff, ripping off of the side primarily. It will also be a secondary workbench, and something I can easily take with me in the truck.
    The second bench helps to keep the cutoff from falling or splitting at the end of the cut.

Another consideration is to have the top thick enough to use a holdfast or two.

jtk

Looks like a nice little project. I'd go ahead as planned and not really overthink this too much. I', sure you can find something to support the offcut without making another bench just for that.

I like the design and the wood you have picked out for it.
    David

Having things work together is easier to think about after things have been built. I like having my saw horses the same height as my bench. But, I wish I had put the stretcher on my saw horses at the same height as the top of my saw bench.

Way too much thinking ahead Bill. Slow down or you will blow a head gasket. Planning ahead? Forsooth.
    David

Ha...I can be bad as anyone about overthinking and paralysis by analysis, but I'm trying to keep this a one bit serendipitous I just kind of like the design concept aesthetically and want to do some multiple through-tenons. If it sucks as a sawbench I'll just bring it inside and tie my shoes on it

I've got most of the stock prep done now. Started with some cross grain jack plane action, using my beat up old Sargent transitional. Followed with a try plane (actually a 26" jointer set up as a giant try).

DSCN1634resize.jpg DSCN1635resize.jpg

Finished off with the LN #4. This red oak planes nicely, especially the rift sawn sections...but smells funky. Anyways, it planed to a nicer sheen than I'd of expected:

DSCN1637resize.jpg

Then I struck a gauge line for thickness (not aiming for any particular number, just finding the thinnest point on the uprights and gauging from that- as thick as possible, in other words).

Since I'll be doing a lot of cross grain work, to start I bevel each side nearly down to the gauge line, then work the middle with the jack until the bevel is just about gone.

DSCN1639resize.jpg

Then work with the try down to the line, then a few passes with the smoother and the uprights are thicknessed.

Now I work on the top. First, cut it down to nearly final length (40"), getting rid of a large crack in the process:

DSCN1641resize.jpg

Then repeat the jointing and thicknessing.

Then I joint a reference edge on each piece, in preparation for marking the final width.

This is where I could really use a nice panel gauge:

DSCN1643resize.jpg

None of my gauges go much over 6". Had to use the 12" combo square at nearly full extension...while this works fine for making a rough pencil line, it is an awkward and tedious way to make a gauge line, and tough to do accurately- working in a coarse grained wood like red oak only makes it worse. I suppose it was good enough- but I will definitely be laying out joinery from reference faces only

After marking the lines, I just had to use my new bandsaw to cut most of the waste off (I've only had it a week, give me a break! Plus, I don't even have a sawbench yet )

Planed down to the lines, and now I have a little stack of S4S parts:

DSCN1644resize.jpg

Next I'll be trimming the ends to final length, and then starting the more interesting stuff.