Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to clean/refresh glazed oilstone

how to clean/refresh glazed oilstone

I have a Norton combination oilstone that I have had for about 25 years it is kind of glazed over on the surface, how does one clean -refresh the surface of a stone like this ? Thanks for any help,Mike.

That is not an easy fix, especially if some of the metal embedded in the stone is 'stainless'. A small cheap diamond plate may well remedy the situation but may not last long.
    I have inexpensive crocus pads which have carborundum particles in them. They look like a bit like kitchen pads but are larger and brown. You could scrub with one of those and expect some improvement.

It's the glaze from some tool steels that are largely stainless that causes a problem. Regular steel just wipes off with oil. Water stones are better for some tool steels as the surface is lost in use and glazing is not a problem.

I know it sounds a bit off the wall, but I have used a standard concrete block to deglaze and flatten an old oil stone. I don't remember where I read/heard it, but it seems to work to at least get you in the ballpark. From there you can fine tune it with the diamond stone. My theory was, the oilstone didn't work as it was and the block was only a couple of bucks, so what did I have to lose.

I guess it depends on the source of the glaze. If the source is old oil that has basically filled the pores of the stone so that it won't cut anymore, then the solution should include cleaning out the old oil. Others I've discussed this with have used TSP to break down the old oil. I used a dishwasher with a stainless inside, no rinse agent, and a little extra dishwashing soap. I first flattened the stone with a combination of the concrete sidewalk and finer diamond stones. After flattening, the old oil was still a problem. I turned to the dishwasher. Worked very well to restore the cutting action of my great grandpa's oil stone.

Dishwasher works very well, but generally SWMBO is never pleased, particularly when you use it for other items besides oilstones! But it does work nicely.

Try over cleaner. Give the stones a real good soaking, then scrub with a wirebrush, using water as hot as you can stand. You may need to repeat several times, but it works. Flatten on a concrete block.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

So a dishwasher is my answer eh. Can not wait to tell my wife this one, but the guys on SMC all said...Thanks for all the suggestions ,I will try out the concrete block and wait for the next time my wife is in town and then give the dishwasher a workout. Bet there is a lot of women who would love to shoot the guy who first figured out this idea and then posted it.

Best hope the dishwasher doesn't leech out the manufacturers oil fill.

Stewie does have a point. An artificial oilstone is very porous and without the factory oil fill it leaks oil everywhere and even worse, the oil you put on top immediately soaks into the stone and can't do its job. I've had a cheap oilstone without a suitable oil fill and it was dreadfull.

Now, India oilstones are very cheap, so if your cleaning method doesn't work out satisfactorily, then you are not out a huge amount of money. But I would begin with less drastic methods that don't involve ruining your wifes dishwasher

Impregnation, (the oil filling) can be renewed two ways: first is through usung your handy dandy vacuum impregnator sealed vessel, to first draw all air out of the porous stone (using a vacuum), then flooding the vessel withoil to refill that porosity (i have such a beast in my manufacturing plant). The other method is to heat oil over a hot plate, with the stone in it. Just be careful to stay safely below the flashbpoint of the oil.

Try oven cleaner before the dish washer, though.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kimbrough View Post
    I know it sounds a bit off the wall, but I have used a standard concrete block to deglaze and flatten an old oil stone. I don't remember where I read/heard it, but it seems to work to at least get you in the ballpark. From there you can fine tune it with the diamond stone. My theory was, the oilstone didn't work as it was and the block was only a couple of bucks, so what did I have to lose.
    Did similar but used the driveway. Just worked it in figure-8's and a cup of soapy water to splash on things.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

to remove oil from a clogged stone:
    wrap in a rag. place in a new freezer grade ziplock baggie. saturate with paint thinner. zip up and let it soak overnight. remove from rag/baggie and scrub with detergent and stiff brush. repeat as necessary.

to remove imbedded metal.
    best: abrade the surface flat.
    next best: soak overnight in vinegar, then scrub.

The OP has a glazed Norton Combination Oil Stone. There is no reason to risk destroying the manufacturers oil fill. The stone needs abrading. A bag of loose sic powder, a flat piece of float glass, a squirt bottle with water, a pencil to scribe the top surface of your stone, and remember to roll up your sleeves.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-02-2017 at 5:41 PM.

The manufacturers oil fill is not a holy grail...Clean the stone with solvent or the dishwasher. Flatten with abrasives at hand. Saturate with mineral oil (which does not polymerize and clog the surface). Sharpen your tools. Rinse, repeat as necessary.
    Joe

I wouldn't try it on a dishwasher that didn't have a stainless tub. But it worked for me. Like I said, a lot of folks also use TSP to break down the old oil and scrub the stone with a stiff brush (nylon).

Stewie can you enlighten me, what is sic powder? I have a piece of granite. It is a scrap from a counter top would that work as a flat reference surface?