Thread: cleaning hepa dust filter

cleaning hepa dust filter

I have been using my dust collection system for a few years now and have been blowing air through the pleats to clean the dust. After inspecting the interior of the filter it is very dusty and the pleats seemed to be clogged by the visual inspection. The filter is 13" diameter by 36" in length. Is taking the filter out of the canister and cleaning it with compressed air a recommended way of cleaning? Any other options?
    Thanks for your input,
    Phil

I gently wash mine with the garden hose.............Rod.

There are canister filters spec'd to tolerate washing, and there are ones that are not. I found that out the hard way. I washed one, and it plugged up completely. Could not blow air through it at all.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Tapping the filter on a hard surface, preferably outside, is the safest way to clean it, another option is to retrofit the filter with paddles that shake the dust lose and let it fall down when activated. Never apply compressed air on the inside of the filter and I would not recommend water either bec. there will always be some dust/water mixture (dough) left behind that will eventually clog the filter and reduce the airflow. Compressed air applied on the outside of the filter does work, but never place the nozzle directly against the filter always keep it at least a few inches away.

If you know who manufactured it, there's a chance they may have cleaning instructions. Some media is only efficient when its loaded with dust. If you clean it completely, then you might find it less effective until it loads up again

After they have been in use, the filters never come completely clean. Also, as Andy pointed out, some of the fine filtration is accomplished by the dust loading of the filter, only allowing the smallest of particles through. If you clean it thoroughly, the filtration efficiency can go down.

Be sure the filter is washable before trying that. When using compressed air, Dick Wynn recommends not using more than 60 PSI to clean their filters. You would normally blow from the outside in on most filters, but using compressed air to dislodge dust from the inside after taking the filter outside, would work, and I have done it before. I have also gently vacuumed a filter from the inside. According to Dick Wynn, the use of paddles or beater bars will damage the filter media and cause premature failure. Be aware that the filters will not last forever and will eventually require replacement. A cyclone system is usually much easier on filters because almost no chips and a very small amount of dust are passed on to the filter. A single stage system is passing a large percentage of the chips and all the dust to the filter and it will wear the filter media more quickly.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 02-01-2017 at 2:42 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look to see if there is a manufactures name on it and call for their recommended cleaning instructions.