Thread: Sigma 6000 vs 8000 selection- after much reading of many, many threads

Sigma 6000 vs 8000 selection- after much reading of many, many threads

Currently I am going from diamond 1200 to green compound on mdf and it takes quite a while to remove that coarse edge. I have recently gave up on the convex bevel after a few years and I am thinking that either a sigma 6000 or 8000 would be the way to go considering I have some A2 plane blades along with some HSS blades which seem to take forever. I don't mind the "stropping" but I question the time it seems to take me.

Would the above be a wise choice? If so, which? I still plan on using the LV green stuff for a final finish as needed.

Roughly what seems to be the time frame from ordering to arrival in the midwest?

I considered the spyderco uf also from thread reading.

I am only going to be purchasing new one stone currently, so I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks in advance-

Paul, if you are going from a 1200 diamond, and will finish on green compound (both decent choices), then I would have the Sigma 6000 as the middle stone. That is a better jump than the 8000, which is a little too high (I use the 6000 and 13000).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you Derek, that is what I ordered and will look forward to using. All the best- Paul

I believe you will like the sigma 6,000 stone. It works very well for me on O1 and A2 steel both, however it does require flattening after vigorous use.
    David

A quick update on the sigma 6000. After using this stone for 2 months, I love it. A night a day difference going to the mdf with green stuff after using this stone vs. straight from 1200 diamond to the mdf or should I say 3 strokes on mdf now vs. 30 strokes before. And I feel I have a much more finished edge. I'm happy. It is also teaching me that I wasn't fully utilizing my other stones ability to finish off the steel.

Thanks, I always appreciate updates such as this. I considered getting one of these stones, but I am not sure I need another stone!