Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchcrafted vise install- watch those measurements!

Blog Entries

Benchcrafted vise install- watch those measurements!

EDITED!... It turns out I may possibly have screwed up and measured wrong, but I prefer to believe that my ruler is off by 1.75". That's my story. But seriously- I did make changes to the Benchcrafted plans, but the ultimate mistake was that I somehow misread that the bottom of the hole was 1.75" above the crisscross mortise, but it turns out the CENTER is 1.75" off. Oops. The recess ends up very close to the crisscross mortise if you drill correctly, so when I drilled it too high, everything looked fine- yup, that's about right... nope, that's not right.

Because my top is 5" thick, I lowered the legs a couple of inches to keep the top at the height I wanted. I thought I had considered everything when making this change. Tonight I drilled the hole for the vise screw. I was so happy it came out perfectly straight, but then I realized there wasn't room for the bushing in back. Easy fix- I will just chop out a little recess and there is still plenty of meat left in the stretcher, but boy did I learn sum'n today. The good news is there is still room for the screw, and now it will sit flush to the stretcher.

IMG_0736.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 02-03-2017 at 12:42 PM.

You could also flush the nut hub down into the leg and leave the stretcher alone. I had a similar situation with my bench but it was on purpose. I scooped the whole corner of the stretcher away so the nut could be removed if necessary. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Because my top is 5" thick...
    Why don't you just take this to its logical conclusion and buy a nice solid granite optical table?

Hazy memory tells me that there was a mention that changing the height of the bench from the plans would affect the placement of the leg vise in the construction notes that were issued by Benchcrafted. Sounds like you fixed it anyway, so all well that ends well. How long is your bench going to be?
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    You could also flush the nut hub down into the leg and leave the stretcher alone. I had a similar situation with my bench but it was on purpose. I scooped the whole corner of the stretcher away so the nut could be removed if necessary. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    Jim
    I am considering letting the hub into the leg, but then it seems you lose the additional busing on the front of the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Why don't you just take this to its logical conclusion and buy a nice solid granite optical table?
    I tried that. It was so heavy it fell through the floor and landed on top of grandma, may she rest in peace. The good news is we didn't have to buy a headstone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Hazy memory tells me that there was a mention that changing the height of the bench from the plans would affect the placement of the leg vise in the construction notes that were issued by Benchcrafted. Sounds like you fixed it anyway, so all well that ends well. How long is your bench going to be?
    Rub it in, David. Rub it in.

While I did not really mean it that way................ I deserve that. Never mind, carry on. You need a bench, you deserve a bench, you can't afford not to have a bench.
    David

I had the same issue with the stretcher in my build, and I chose to trim some material out of the stretcher to allow the nut to be removed should the need arise. This was not a mistake on my part, just the result of the dimensional choices I made and how I dealt with the issues.

You could have lowered the position of the screw a little more, but that would have affected how far you would have to bend over to use the leg vise. Any design is a compromise. I wouldn't feel at all bad, and it sounds like you have a plan to address your problem nicely.

Blog Entries
    While I did not really mean it that way................ I deserve that. Never mind, carry on. You need a bench, you deserve a bench, you can't afford not to have a bench.
    I was kidding. I didn't really take it that way.

Also forgot to answer your question- the longer half is just over 7'. The shorter half 6'. The two halves are not equal so that my pattern maker's vise hangs on an extension and I can easily work three sides of it.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 02-03-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent VanFossen View Post
    I had the same issue with the stretcher in my build, and I chose to trim some material out of the stretcher to allow the nut to be removed should the need arise. This was not a mistake on my part, just the result of the dimensional choices I made and how I dealt with the issues.

You could have lowered the position of the screw a little more, but that would have affected how far you would have to bend over to use the leg vise. Any design is a compromise. I wouldn't feel at all bad, and it sounds like you have a plan to address your problem nicely.
    I put it as low as the plans allowed (1.75" from top of the crisscross Mortice to bottom of the recess), but suddenly I do remember raising everything up 1/2" from the bottom because I wanted to round the bottom of the chop and wanted that extra 1/2" to ensure there was plenty of wood around the mortice. That added to my situation.

I was just thinking about weight. 5" thick at 7' long makes for a load to handle. Good thing you are going split top because a one piece 24" wide top would do some damage to your body.
    David

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about weight. 5" thick at 7' long makes for a load to handle. Good thing you are going split top because a one piece 24" wide top would do some damage to your body.
    I am expecting the whole thing, vises and all, to weigh in at 500 pounds. The base alone is 95. I am done with benches that move around when you're planing!

The reason I went 5" is I got a deal on the ash in random widths around 7". I could have ripped them in half to 3.5" but I really wanted something bigger. I don't have a lot of room to store wood, so I went 5" and ended up with offcuts to make a 2" top for a tool cabinet. I would have been happy with 4", but in my case 5" just worked out.

Blog Entries
    Argh!!!! I misread the plans. I even made notes and checked my notes. It's 1.75" on center for the hole. Somehow I made it 1.75" from the bottom. So. Well.... It appears I am not perfect after all.

IMG_0737.jpg

Malcolm, I'm about 70% thru with build of BC's Roubo. I got the leg vice installed and tested (then pulled off to finish the tops).

You are gonna LIKE the vice!! I had not laid hands on one previously, but it works just like the videos....

One small warning: the small wood screw that holds the criss-cross wear plate in place can intrude into the bolt hole for the front stretcher attachment. If you then try to drill through the leg to align and extend the hole into the stretcher, the drill bit can hit the screw (if you've left the wear plate in place). This can wreck a perfectly good 1/2" brad-point bit! DAMHIKT. Either pull the screw before drilling, install the wear plate with the screw at the bottom, or buy another drill bit.

Thanks for all the tips, all my Benchcrafted hardware showed up last week. I've dimensioned the leg stock and glued it up last night. Get to spend the weekend making mortises.

Blog Entries
    Ok, let's play a game called "find the mistake." One tiny error in my drill list caused this.

IMG_0739.jpg