Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea House Chair and Table

Blog Entries

Tea House Chair and Table

Afternoon folks, I've started my next project, the build of a table and chair to reside in a tea house.

Please have a read, I am looking forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...air-and-table/
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

very nice Brian. Thanks for taking the time to write up all small details on tool setup and use. Great read!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Oskar! Glad that you are enjoying, I'm happy to hear that many are finding the tool write-ups along with the blog to be enjoyable. The addition of chair building has been quite fun for me, especially with respect to the tools.

Excited. I always enjoy chair builds; interesting to see the work done with Japanese tools.

Also enjoying, though am concerned you will run out of new tools to try !

Look forward to seeing more.

Blog Entries
    Hah, Chris, not a chance!

Glad you both are enjoying!

Brian,

Do you ever come up for air. I guess it is full on woodworking season. Being i have also been working from home and my shop looks out on my garden i can see my winter projects wrapping up as gardening season begins.

I know you like trees. I got three new trees last season. One a 6" caliper 20' tall Acer Triflorum or Paperbark maple but with tan peeling bark as apposed to cinnamon. The second a 16' tall 6" caliper wheeping white spruce and the third a 25' 4-5" caliper slender silhouette sweet gum.

If you want pictures let me know.

I need to make a shop chair. Right now i just have a ash meditation block lol..

Blog Entries
    Wonderful, I'd love to see pictures of your garden! Sounds like some nice additions.

I do work alot, but I enjoy it and the day flies by. It's interesting, I used to work 8 hours a day and was totally exhausted at the end of that day. Now I work probably 10-14 hours depending on how much I feel like working and I feel like I barely work at all.

Working at home is great, get to enjoy life a little bit more and I feel I end up more productive than otherwise.

Blog Entries
    I love the lines of that chair seat. That is skill to maintain that hard edge when carving.

Another beautiful job Brian! It's always a pleasure to see your work!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I must also add that the lines on that seat look straight off a CNC machine. I hope you take that as a compliment. I know i would
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-02-2017 at 8:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents! I've seen one Japanese chairs and it had these super crisp lines carved into it.....it's the sort of thing that just lingers with you until you have to try your hand at it!

Hi Brian,
    I see you planed the glued up seat to perfection before the adze work! I would have used a bow saw to cut the rough out before glue up, but then I don't have an adze. I was trying to get a sense of how much work the adze was.

Blog Entries
    When forming the seat, I wanted to level the full surface first to ensure that the edges would be flat and aligned.

The adze is fast work, I chopped out the seat pan with the adze in maybe 30 minutes, I think after 2-3 more of these I could probably do it in 10-15 minutes.

Quick indeed! The table has raised breadboard ends suggesting no one sits at the ends so I'm wondering why the legs are not moved to the ends to create more leg room under the table? Perhaps designed to be between the feet?