Thread: Router machine set up like a metal mill?

Blog Entries

Router machine set up like a metal mill?

Anyone use one of these guys? They look interesting.

publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1776096
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-01-2017 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Removed Auction link per TOS

Blog Entries
    I used one in college. We called it a pin router. That pedal at the base will raise the bed under the overarm router. You can mount a pin exactly under the router bit and then attach a template to the underside of the work (with clamps for mass production). You put the work so the pin is in the template, lower the motor and route your pattern.

I have kind of the same thing on my router table in reverse. I have an overarm pin that I can lower into a template. What I can't do is use a pedal to raise the router into the work.

I have one and frequently used it for pattern work. Just made about 60' of trim that fits up to a corrugated metal ceiling.

CNC has turned the bigger quality machines into boat anchors. Little machines like the one in the auction can still do useful and productive work.
    Larry

That just looks like an ordinary heavy duty mortising machine to me.

Blog Entries
    Aaahhh, that's pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    That just looks like an ordinary heavy duty mortising machine to me.
    If you could attach a square chisel to the chuck I guess it could cut mortises, but it's really not set up for that (the table goes up and down, not the cutter head; no built in left-right movement of the table; no built-in clamping for the workpiece). All those would also rule out efficient slot mortising.