Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performax conveyor

Performax conveyor

My Performax 1632 sat unused for years. I used it for flatting disks for bowls. I just retired and am getting back into turning again. My conveyor belt came apart from the heat and age.

I ordered one from Industrial Abrasives.

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to track. I can have the motor side tight (the direction the belt is drifting) and the other as loose as a goose and it will still drift towards the motor side.

I may be doing something wrong. Not sure.

I loosened the four bolts (two on a side) that support the rollers and slid off the old conveyor belt. I installed the new belt.

I used the two adjustment (tracking) bolts trying to get it to track. No luck. I reread the instructions, and tightened the four bolts after setting some tension, and then tried to use the tracking bolts. Still no luck. I tried many different combinations many times. Nothing stopped it from drifting to the motor side.

Could the belt be bad?

Any techniques or ideas would be appreciated.

RP

If you reverse the direction of the belt will it consistently run off the opposite direction? Supposedly, if the rollers are not parallel with the platen surface that can cause tracking problems.

Several years ago I had the use of a friends 1632 for over a year and the belt adjustment was sensitive and required frequent adjustment. It wasn't consistent in the direction of run-off. One time I didn't notice how far off it had moved and the belt caught and tore the glued joint loose for about an inch. I re-glued the separated portion of the joint with medium CA and finished the job. I purchased a new belt but the repaired belt tracked consistently so I didn't change it. The friend said the repaired belt is still on the 1632 and working great. The repair was at about 6 years ago.

I purchased a Performax 1020 after the 1632 incident and it always tracks off to the motor side like yours. I have a new belt but haven't installed it. I usually find another method and don't frequently use the 1020. The 1020 belt is more difficult to change. I have it bolted down to a 1/4" thick aluminum plate and 1" plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edington View Post
    I reread the instructions, and tightened the four bolts after setting some tension, and then tried to use the tracking bolts. Still no luck. I tried many different combinations many times. Nothing stopped it from drifting to the motor side.
    Several of us discovered years ago that the instructions in the manual are backwards. Several people went insane and had to be committed. Some gave up woodworking football and joined an austerity cult. Others just poured gasoline on the sander and set fire to it. I was able to get my 22-44 to track perfectly by doing the opposite of the manual.

I cannot guarantee all manuals are backwards; they may have made a correction. And I don't remember which way is correct although I may have made notes in my manual and could try to check later. But if the way you are adjusting is not working it might not hurt to try the opposite.

JKJ

Well, I'm not crazy yet. But I'm close! I actually tried doing it opposite. I'm afraid I've gooned it up so bad it'll never work.
    I called Jet. They have a guy who used to work for Performax. He is supposed to call me.

I have become convinced that it's something about the belts themselves. I have a Delta rather than a Performax, but despite being able to adjust and repair every machine in shop to a nice fit and finish - including some that started out a long way from "on target," I have never been able to get a drum sander conveyor to track.

I have to ask, is it a Jet belt? I have heard that the non Jet belts sometimes refuse to track. That being said, I find it takes WEEKS to get mine to track with no adjustment. If it tracks now, tomorrow it may not. I have no idea what causes this, but after a couple months of occasional use, mine finally can track without adjustment. Be patient.... It is frustrating. Good luck!

Just went through the exact same 'scenario' with a Industrial Abrasives replacement belt for a Jet 22/44.
    The old belt tracked perfectly ... on occasion the material wouldn't 'feed' with the belt ... the grit was obviously smooth.
    I received the belt and watched a YouTube video on the change-out routine and followed those instructions.
    Fully loosened the adjustment bolts ... removed the 2 bracket mounting bolts that bolt the conveyor to the frame ... and swapped-out the belt(s).
    In adjusting the tracking; the motor side of the belt ended-up exceedingly tight and the out-side had no tension.
    I put the old belt back-on using the same the routine: it again tracked perfectly with even tension on both bolts.
    I called and explained that I was reluctant to run the machine in that set-up: received a new belt in about 6 days.
    I swapped-out the belts ... the new belt has the same tendency, but, not to the same extent ... I had tension on both sides.
    I ran the belt by-it-self for about 15 minutes without any noticeable change ... then decided to flip-it to see if it would track to the out-side.
    To my surprise it still had the same tendency to track to the motor-side ... just not-as-bad ... I had more tension on the out-side adjustment bolt.
    That was 4 days-ago. I haven't had occasion to use the sander very-much since then ... so time-will-tell.

Sounds just like mine. I already called Industrial abrasives. But I told them I'd work on it some more. Reversing the belt didn't help.

Blog Entries
    The folks at Supermax sold parts for Performax machines and could be helpful.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edington View Post
    Sounds just like mine. I already called Industrial abrasives. But I told them I'd work on it some more. Reversing the belt didn't help.
    Did you try measuring the diameter of each end of the belt to see if that was an issue?

However, if reversing shows identical symptoms it seems like the belt should be fine and the problem is somewhere in the machine. It seems odd that one end would be less tight than the other.

I'm wondering if the belt is made from a fabric or some material that stretches or distorts slightly at an angle to the travel. Just thinking out loud here...

Mine has always tracked fine after the initial adjustment but with the original belt - I'm not excited about the prospect of replacing it some day. Be sure to let us know how this works out.

JKJ

Assuming the belts are not stretching (hopefully, they're paper backed which does not stretch like fabric backed), the belt will run to the side with the least tension. That's also assuming the rollers are both in the same plane and level with the table surface.

One thing I've done with conveyor type belts is to add some more crown to the driven roller. This can be done by making a few wraps of duct tape on the center of the roll. The rule of thumb I've used with high speed sanding belts is 1/8" crown per 6" of width, that might be a little much on such low speed belts though.

I called Jet. They would not talk to me because I didn't buy a Jet conveyor belt.
    I watched the YouTube video.
    I went out to the shop. Sat down in front of the Performax and sprayed Silicone lube on the outfeed roller bushings and on the angle brackets it was attached.
    The belt was always running off to the motor side. So I made sure the bolts holding the angle brackets were loose. I turned on the conveyor and started tightening only the motor side. Very controlled. Just 90 degrees or less at a time. I marked the roller so I could monitor the belts movement.
    It took a long time. But as I continued to tighten the motor side only it stayed put. The belt was flat.
    So the belt on the other side was very loose. I repeated the process, just trying to get the bulge out of it. About the time it started to flatten out, it started to drift. I stopped and reset the belt and slacked the non motor side alittle. Restarted it and tightened only a little.
    It stayed put for now.
    Well see tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses.
    RP

Robert, any update on your sander belt?

JKJ

This is funny because I am having the exact same thing. Bought from the same place but i have the older 1632 Performax and can not get that belt to stay put no matter how I adjust those bolts. So now I just slide the belt every so often by hand. I figure some day it may settle in. i too had my old belt start to break and was able to CA part of it but it gave out eventually so had to go new.
    John T.

Yes sir,
    I wrote something on 3 Feb. But, today I used it since I got it to track. It worked fine and did not drift. The belt is loose on one side and tight on the other, but it's tracking.
    I only did two rings today. Not a big job.
    You need to make sure the "L" brackets that hold the outfeed roller will move freely. They must move with tightening and loosening of the captive wrench/bolt movements.
    Then, get a chair, sit down behind that thing and slowly tighten the bolt until it starts to move. I mean, less than 90 degrees at a time. Give it time to react. I put a mark with Sharpie on the outfeed roller at the edge of the belt to see readily when it moved. I tightened the other side until it started to move than backed it off. So far so good.
    I hope this helps.
    RP