Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benchcrafted vise install- watch those measurements!

Malcom McLeod, you're lucky it was just a 1/2" brad point. I ran a 10" Freud flat-tip rip blade into a hidden hardened steel pin. Luckily, none of the shrapnel found me!

Malcom S, your benchtop may be ash, but the base is surely mahogany, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Ok, let's play a game called "find the mistake." One tiny error in my drill list caused this.

Attachment 353108
    Isn't it a party foul to actually be able to find it...?? The 'arrow-ed' dimension on the right should go to center of hole. BTDT recently!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    Malcom McLeod, you're lucky it was just a 1/2" brad point. I ran a 10" Freud flat-tip rip blade into a hidden hardened steel pin. Luckily, none of the shrapnel found me!

Malcom S, your benchtop may be ash, but the base is surely mahogany, right?
    yes, Mahogany. I get it here fairly reasonably. The ash I had to ship down.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Isn't it a party foul to actually be able to find it...?? The 'arrow-ed' dimension on the right should go to center of hole. BTDT recently!!

Yes, you got it. Not sure how I did that but I do have eye issues and it causes a problem like dyslexia, for the sake of keeping explanation short. I believe I misread the instructions. Sometimes I read one line and it blends in with another line. That's part of why I make a cut list and drill list and then verify it again. This time it didn't work so well, but I should have caught that mistake.

"To Centre"
    That's the trouble with writing stuff down!

Glad to hear others are building these. I have exactly one leg glued together and need to dimension and do mortises etc. The Benchcrafted hardware is NICE.

I dimensioned my legs yesterday and made three mortises today, 9 more to go.

Blog Entries
    Something else I just realized- I went with the Lee Valley Bench Bolts, and it turns out they are 2" shorter than the Benchcrafted bolts. Lee Valley's are 6" long, and Benchcrafted's are 8". Funny thing is, I think 8" would be a bit long, but 6" will require me to drill the recess for the bolt head and washer a little bit deeper. I'm going to head now to the chandlery and see if they have stainless bolts 7" long, which I think would be perfect, placing the nut far enough from the edge of the stretcher, but not too far.

Boy, can anything be simple?