Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make this cut?

How to make this cut?

Hey folks, looking for some advise on how to make this cut:

cut.jpg

Some background, helping a friend turn an piece of a fallen family barn timber into a mantle. This cut is to help sleeve it over the brickwork.

bean.jpg

It won't be easy cutting, this is old growth red oak.

endgrain.jpg

Before everyone freaks out about a waste of lumber, know that there was A) lots of nails that had to be removed. B) Lots of rot and worm infestation, which this cut will finish taking out and C) This was otherwise heading to the burn pile.

I have a relatively well equipped shop (14" bandsaw, 10" Unisaw, 8" Jointer, 12" Miter Saw, etc). I thought about using a circ saw, but the 7.25" blade simply doesn't have the reach.

Right now, my best thought was a plunging cut with my chainsaw, but really not looking forward to trying that.

I'd prefer a technique that saves as much of the wood as possible, but it is what it is.

I'd cut as deep as possible with a circular saw then clear out the remainder with a mortising chisel. Might take you 20 minutes and be a bit of a workout, but easier and safer than a chain saw!

There are two ways I would consider:

1) Cut the beam in half, notch the one half at the bandsaw, then rejoint/reglue the halves.
    2) The second, massochistic way is to chop out the waste. Use the chainsaw to carve and hollow out as much as possible. Then use a slick to square the sides.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-03-2017 at 11:38 AM.

How finished and what dimensional tolerance do you need in the cut?

If your drill press has enough depth of travel, you could hog out material near the 4" and 6" lines respectively with a Forstner bit, as though you were doing the initial cleaning out for two long mortises, then hog out along the two short sides with the drill press, and finally clean up with some chisel work.

It doesn't sound quick and easy regardless.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Hog with Forster, router or circ-saw and chisel to finish.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Drill press is a Powermatic 1150, so I do have 6" of travel, so this is probably what I'll be doing. This is going to be some work...
    Last edited by Sean McCurdy; 02-03-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Finshed surface is unimportant, as it's all hidden. Tolerance of about 1/4" or so. I.E. very rough is totally fine.

I would cut a piece 4" x 6" and then cut out the huge rabbet. Then add back in the two blocks at each end.

Or as I think Prashun said mill two boards and glue them up as an long L shape, then glue in the two blocks.

However - maybe you need to show the endgrain on each piece as it exists? So the above wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 02-03-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: several decaf induced spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    There are two ways I would consider:

1) Cut the beam in half, notch the one half at the bandsaw, then rejoint/reglue the halves.
    Prashun is onto something here, in my opinion. the only real evidence would be a minor glue line on the top and ends of the mantel.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

If you have a band saw, I would resaw the beam in line with the 6" face of the notch, cut out the 4" faces also on the band saw and glue the first cut back bandsawn box style.

The glue line will virtually disappear especially in the roough surface

Circular saw and chisel. Won't be as bad as you think.

Blog Entries
    Do you know anyone with a bridgeport type milling machine? This would be an easy cut on a milling machine using a 4" long end mill. Probably less than 1/2 hour of work, not counting cleaning up the chips from your friends mill.

If you don't know any one with an end mill, then I wold cut all the straight lines as deep as I can wit my skill saw. Then Using a 2" forstner bit I would bore a bunch of slightly overlapping holes to the 4" depth removing as much material as possible. Then take a hammer and knock of the stub pieces that stick up after boring. Finally use a sharp chisel to clean up the remaining bits and pieces.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with cutting the long straight lines with the circ saw (though that's going to going to be a pucker of a plunge cut!) then using a forstner bit plunge at the cut line and ends to remove the large chunk left by the circ saw.

A track saw would be nice on those cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I agree with cutting the long straight lines with the circ saw (though that's going to going to be a pucker of a plunge cut!) then using a forstner bit plunge at the cut line and ends to remove the large chunk left by the circ saw.

A track saw would be nice on those cuts.
    Had not considered the "pucker factor", but I own a track saw that I can plunge..... Pretty much anything that can follow a straight edge and plunge would be a huge help here. For example, a router with multiple passes as deep as you can go. This still leaves a bunch to clean out, but, with the "initial" reference surface in place, I expect that would help a bunch... After the reference portion was done, you can likely hog out a bunch of it with forstner bits, even hand held, just don't get too close to the edge.