Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet sanding question

Back to the issue of spontaneous combustion. I wonder if oil in shavings might not be worse than rags. It seems that the shavings make a nice insulator and keep the developing heat in the pile. I realize that a pile of rags would do the same thing, but I have never seen a pile of rags, only a few spread out on the floor. If you wet sanded as bowl and then turned another bowl without clearing the shavings that contain the oil, you would be insulating the oil soaked shavings. Unlike Reed, I am not going to try that, not even outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Back to the issue of spontaneous combustion. I wonder if oil in shavings might not be worse than rags. It seems that the shavings make a nice insulator and keep the developing heat in the pile. I realize that a pile of rags would do the same thing, but I have never seen a pile of rags, only a few spread out on the floor. If you wet sanded as bowl and then turned another bowl without clearing the shavings that contain the oil, you would be insulating the oil soaked shavings. Unlike Reed, I am not going to try that, not even outside.
    I would believe that is not the case, as for the polymerizing to keep going faster, there has to be Oxygen, lots of that in the loose pile of rags, not so in the closely packet shavings and sanding dust, but as I said before, I would not want to take the chance by waiting with something that has to be done anyway, cleaning-up.
    Have fun and take care

Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried powdered silk?

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the link, Leo.

Blog Entries
    I just might give silk a try. I happen to have some on hand.
    Not sure whether to mix it in water or an oil.