Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeti Lawsuit

Yeti Lawsuit

Just a heads up.....I saw that Yeti just won a lawsuit against RTIC (I think it's the company that sells the knock off stainless steel tumblers at Walmart) and RTIC agreed to immediately stop selling it's products.

I'm wondering if similar lawsuits are in process against other competitors like Polar Camel (sold by JDS).

So if you sell a lot of stainless steel tumblers, you might want to stock up before all the cheap ones are gone.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I was surprised that it hadn't happened sooner. Yeti did a superior marketing job and the Chinese and various competitors jumped on the bandwagon with geat success.

Good for Yeti!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I wonder if the infringement related to the shape of the coolers, or the insulation technology? The article I read said they had to cease selling all products until they had made meaningful changes to the design. That could mean anything though.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

insulation technology? They can't possibly have a patent on pulling a vacuum. Stanley and other manufactures have been doing it for decades.

edit: they list exactly 0 patents on their site for the "rambler" cups. not even a design patent.

http://yeti.com/patents
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 02-04-2017 at 1:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Said that they werre re designing the products affected. May be cups, may be coolers. Coolere were different size than yetis, rtic has been out of the 20oz for over a month. Id guess they'll change design a bit. Walmart already did this.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    insulation technology? They can't possibly have a patent on pulling a vacuum. Stanley and other manufactures have been doing it for decades.

edit: they list exactly 0 patents on their site for the "rambler" cups. not even a design patent.

It's funny, because I was thinking "they couldn't possibly have gotten a patent on the shape of a cup or a cooler after all these years of those being made". LOL
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I was in Wally mart yesterday and saw a worker with a manual pricing gun putting 10 cent stickers on a bunch of tumblers... She told a passing soccer Mom they were all 10 cents each... I really did not pay attention to it, then I saw this... Must be related....

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Don't bother me much, people bring me theirs--

I do more Hydroflasks than anything...

Yesterday I did some SIC cups (Seriously Ice Cold), identical to the big Yeti but physically smaller, only 20 ounces- no infringement? And they're powdercoated, was told they don't even sell a stainless version- and they weigh a ton, pretty sure the air space isn't air...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I was surprised that it hadn't happened sooner. Yeti did a superior marketing job and the Chinese and various competitors jumped on the bandwagon with geat success.

Good for Yeti!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    It's funny, because I was thinking "they couldn't possibly have gotten a patent on the shape of a cup or a cooler after all these years of those being made". LOL
    Apparently both companies were founded by a set of brothers in Texas. YETI lists China as the country of origin for its tumblers and there's an internet rumor that they may even be made in the same factory as the RTIC. YETI included a Chinese manufacturer in its lawsuit. RTIC were sued for a few things, including infringement of trade dress, patents, and unfair competition.

While I don't have an optical comparator, I do have several other measuring devices and loupes and such-- at given times I've a 30oz Yeti (the wife's), some RTIC and Ozark Mountain clones here, and also had the wife's 20oz Yeti and some Ozark Mountain and Members Mark clones...

Other than the logo stamping (none on the MM), they are all virtually identical... Same diameters in the same places, identical height, the bottom caps are exactly the same, same inside diameters, same inside and outside finish-- and I'd bet a buck most of the plastic caps came from the same basic injection mold (which is easy enough to fabricate alternate interchangeable parts for the different logos and openings)...

Just my opinion, but the chance the whole bunch one of them is made in the same building someplace in China is pretty good!

and just for a little conspiracy theory action, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this whole Yeti-and-the-clones and now the lawsuits are all just one big April fools joke fabricated by these brothers... - think about it-- collectively, how many millions of these things have been sold? Talk about laughing all the way to the bank...

(hey, it could happen!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Someone said the best way to beat the inevitable knockoffs of successful products is to be the first to knockoff your own product. When (or, preferably, before) going to market with your new sensation, you prepare your own knockoff: you either set up a new company and relabel your product for sale at a lower price than the original, advertising it's "just as good but less expensive", or you set up a different company that substitutes cheaper parts/materials to keep your margins up on the knockoffs. Or do both, allowing you to cover high, medium, and low-ends which makes it harder for third parties to get a foot hold.

The primary issue is a term called "trade dress". What it deals with is the identical shape size and general appearance of all those competitors.

In this case there are two sets of brothers involved and they are not related. The suit apparently includes all brands which share the commonality of look and shape.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Do you think that JDS's 2-day sale they started today for their Polar Camel brand is a result of this? Are they trying to clear out inventory before the cease & desist order arrives?
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

I don't think those prices are hot enough to clear their inventory.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Guys,
    I am a long time reader of the forum when time allowed but now have taken the plunge to post.

My JDS rep has told me that Yeti and Engle, which manufacture the Polar Camel, are the only 2 that own the patent rights to these type and style of cups. Engle has been in the cooler business for decades.
    Action Trophy & Engraving
    Action Promo Group
    Action Metal Photo

Trotec Speedy 300
    Ikonics Crystal Blast Pro
    Mimaki CJV150-130 with Rasterlink 6
    New Hermes Trophy Master (Old School)
    Epson F6200
    Geo Knight Press + Mug Presses
    Geo Knight Maxi-Press
    Adobe CC
    Nikon D750 - or how I got started in the business... :)