Thread: Custom arched raised panel template?

Custom arched raised panel template?

I am interested in building arched raised panel doors for a cabinet. I'm aware of a number of manufacturers that make common arch profile templates but I have not found one that is similar. I'd like some insight as to what needs to be taken into consideration for building a template myself. Thanks.

Do you have an image or drawing of the sort of arch you want to create?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Do you have an image or drawing of the sort of arch you want to create?
    I'm sorry, that should have been posted in the original. Thanks for asking.

The sets I've seen (and refused to use) are often distorted in order to show some curve on doors that are really to narrow to merit an arch. The better way to go is just make your own and use them in a few carefully chosen appropriate spots.

Unfortunately your attachment doesn't work.

Making a template for a raised-panel door is not hard. I like to use 1/2" mdf, but any flat, stable material will work. You will need a template for the panel, and a matching template for the rail.

I usually start with a "half-template" and use it to lay out the final template, so the curve is symmetrical.

These are so easy to make I couldn't justify purchasing. The big thing is getting a consistent look, and that depends on the width of the door. If it's a custom job store-bought templates likely won't work.

I layout the radii so the end points are a consistent height and the center of each arc rises a consistent amount. Any other way looks funny to me. In SketchUp speak the ends of each radius would be two inches +/- from the bottom of a standard top rail and the bulge would be two inches.

Bob Lang

Bob, I'm in agreement with most of that. But I don't like the same segment height ,different radii solution. I concede architects are now using it even on new "classy" financial district buildings ,but it used to be something usually considered kinda' provential .....and the pendulum will swing back to that soon.