Thread: Dewalt dw734 planer question

Dewalt dw734 planer question

all-
    i have a dw734 planer (single speed) and have noticed a problem. my infeed and outfeed trays are lower than the center plate ~ 1/16". outfeed is not a problem, but when i push stock in, the first 2" is planed a shave lower than the rest of the stock. the only adjustment is to raise the back of the infeed tray. wish there was an adjustment to adjust the front of the tray so its parallel with the center plate.

anybody have a 734 and noticed this?

thanks
    rich
    Last edited by richard b miller; 02-04-2017 at 3:06 PM.

I have a DW 734, but either my in and out trays are level enough, or it's never been an issue and I didn't notice. Mine doesn't tend to snipe, but I do have the outer ends of the in and outfeed trays raised slightly above the level of the center plate. When I first got the 734 I read an article someplace that recommended raising the outer ends slightly. I tried it, and it worked fine with little or no snipe. I would go look at it, but my garage is packed with stuff and the planer is buried where I can't get at it right now.

Blog Entries
    I have a DW734 and I have no issues with it. Is this problem new for you?

It is something you should be able to adjust.

Richard,
    I have the same planer, and I noticed the same as you. The infeed and outfeed tables are lower then the center table too. I have no problems with the piece being planed having more material removed at the beginning of the cut.
    The upper rollers should be pushing the material to the top of the middle table only. I don't see how it push it to the top of the infeed table.
    I do the same as James, and have the indeed and outfeed tables raised up slightly higher then the center table. Not much, about .005 of an inch.

james and michael,
    i'll try adjusting the bolt heads to raise the outer edge a little and see how that goes. i also noticed that if i lock the head down, it doesn't do it as bad. i was running my wood thru with the head in the floating position.
    i have submitted a case to dewalt and will let you know if they have any good information or possible fixes.

I always lock the head to run my machine. I would imagine that being unlocked would invite snipe.

Blog Entries
    I always lock the head when feeding boards. I fear you can get hurt or damage the machine if it slips while cutting.
    I have nothing to base this on, but it just seems to be common sense. I also lift theback end of the board as the rollers engage the board.
    If you are getting snipe that helps. I had to lift the front end of the board on an old PC planer I used to have.

There is a lot going on while the planer is running.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-05-2017 at 5:34 PM.