Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Western?

What is Your Favorite Western?

I am going through a Western phase. I like the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and a few more. What is your favorite Western?

"The Searchers" w/ John Wayne, Ward Bond, Etc. & Stagecoach with John Wayne.
    As an afterthought, I've never seen a western with Joel McCrea I didn't like.

Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 02-05-2017 at 3:23 PM.

Once upon a Time in the West is a pretty grim (and long) spaghetti western, in the vein of Good, Bad, Ugly. with Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, and some recognizable others. A more traditional one is The Big Country with Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston & Chuck Connors.

More John Wayne movies I liked. Hondo. Angel and the Bad Man. Oh and Blazing Saddles.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Magnificent Seven. If you want to hear Clint Eastwood sing, Paint Your Wagon Red.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 02-04-2017 at 7:35 PM.

Oklahoma !

That's a really touch call. I'm a fan of Jimmy Stewart so Winchester '73, The Rare Breed, and The Cheyenne Social Club are favorites. For John Wayne I like McLintock!, The Shootist, and too many more. For more recent westerns, I like Silverado, Quigley Down Under, and Open Range.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    I like a lot of the John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns.

I suppose my favorite would be John Wayne's Big Jake.

PHM

Outlaw Josey Wales.

I'm a late Baby Boomer.

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying a modern western, Longmire, into its 5th year, now available on Netflix. Instead of a horse, the sheriff runs around in an old Ford Bronco, he even has an Indian sidekick, played by Lou Diamond Phillips..
    NOW you tell me...

Original "High Noon". " The Searchers" is a good serious theme story. Some years back I heard some critics discussing it and realized that I did not really "get it". I'm of the opinion now that they didn't want us to get it....or they would not have cast John Wayne. I think he was good in it but his good guy image was certainly used to weaken the message. That story done today would be a lot bleaker.

Blog Entries
    I'm a John Wayne fan, but those days are gone. Took a liking to Lonesome Dove and Open Range. I really like Robert Duvall in westerns. Tommy Lee Johns ain't bad either...

I can sit and watch Bonanza all afternoon.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm with Stan- my favorite western is Once Upon a Time in the West. Bronson was perfect and Henry Fonda as a ice-cold killer, wow. And Claudia Cardinale would have been a great silent actress. Nice to look at too.

I also have the Clint spaghetti westerns, The Magnificent Seven on DVD and watch them once in awhile. On TV my favorite western was Have Gun Will Travel.

Just waiting for some malcontent here to vote for Blazing Saddles. Yeah, I have that too on VHS. Great movie but I'm not sure if it's a western.

Any votes for Johnny Guitar?

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 02-04-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Johnny Guitar. Had to add Johnny Guitar.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    for classic western, Shane--Jack Palance was such a perfect evil face for the part. for silly westerns "My Name is Nobody"--Henry Fonda and Terrance Hill

Too many to name just one. So....A Man called Horse, Dances with Wolves, The Last of the Dogmen.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....