Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Western?

Sons of Katie Elder.

Outlaw Jody Wales

-"but I'll be needin' it for squirrels and such"

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    That's a really touch call. I'm a fan of Jimmy Stewart so Winchester '73, The Rare Breed, and The Cheyenne Social Club are favorites. For John Wayne I like McLintock!, The Shootist, and too many more. For more recent westerns, I like Silverado, Quigley Down Under, and Open Range.

+1 on Jimmy Stewart. Winchester '73 is one of my favorites. I am not sure however, that Quigley is a western, but I do enjoy the movie.

Others I enjoy are Big Jake, Sons of Katie Elder, El Dorado, The War Wagon, and The Shootist is one of my top ones to watch. Something about all of those in common though not sure what. Many of these have been mentioned though.

The ones based on Louis L'amour are reasonably good. Typically they have the two most natural born western actors ever in them, Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot. Those two guys were just born to be in westerns. Another couple that weren't mentioned yet are Jeremiah Johnson and a somewhat obscure one called Big Hand for the Little Lady. That is one you really need to watch if you haven't seen it.
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 02-05-2017 at 9:13 AM.

Cat Ballou was always a favorite of mine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Along with many of those already named one that wasn't mentioned is High Plains Drifter. Can't figure out why, but that movie just seem to suck me in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ost View Post
    Sons of Katie Elder.
    +1 That's the one I was thinking of!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My vote:

Best Western - Unforgiven
    favorite - Siverado

ones I'd watch over and over - The Good, the bad, and the Ugly, Quigley Down Under, Pale Rider, The Shootist, and The magnificent Seven (original version)
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

All of the above, as well as the western filmed in Australia - Man From Snowy River.

You also can't forget all the great Ennio Morricone soundtracks that go with the movies. No matter how many times I hear this, I cannot listen to this snippet without my adrenaline prepping for something bad to happen!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL-X53ze5O0

... Forgot to add Deadwood. I finally watched that on Netflix. I had read rave reviews about it for years and finally got around to it. I almost quit due to the sheer volume of cussing on it, but I decided to give it a try due to all the rave reviews. It doesn't take long to ignore the cussing and get into the plot. A lot of great characters in that series - especially Ian McShane and Gerald McRaney. My theory is while they probably didn't use those words in the real time period, the words they did use in that era are quite tame for us now. The show needed to crank up the language to achieve the same effect.
    Last edited by Mike Chance in Iowa; 02-05-2017 at 3:31 PM.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

The Original True Grit with John Wayne and Glen Campbell.
    Silverado
    Sukiyaki Western Django

Then of course High Plains Drifter.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

High noon, 3:10 to Yuma,pony soldiers
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

A local channel plays 'Wanted Dead or Alive" every morning. I get a kick out of McQueen as a cowboy
    (I much prefer him shooting pool or chasing Charger's with Mustang's, but that's another topic)

As for Westerns in general... if it's got Eastwood in it, I'll watch it
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I always liked Support your local sheriff

Most of the movies already listed as well as Heavens Gate..........Rod.

My favorite is....Quigley Down Under

I'll watch anything with John Wayne, although I've seen(many, many times), and have, most all of his films. I can almost recite most of the dialog of the Duke's films. Have a portrait of The Duke hanging in my Den. Also like most of those mentioned already. Guess you could say I like any westerns over the crap that poses for today's movies.

Chuck