Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Western?

I love Jimmy Stewart as well; he was quite the man. Didn't someone named "Harvey" star in several westerns with Jimmy Stewart? It seem modern westerns are attempting to rewrite or re-brush history with countless women written in as gunfighters and the rough and tumble types.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I love Jimmy Stewart as well; he was quite the man. Didn't someone named "Harvey" star in several westerns with Jimmy Stewart? It seem modern westerns are attempting to rewrite or re-brush history with countless women written in as gunfighters and the rough and tumble types.
    Agree. But I've noticed that the actress gun fighters are much more attractive the old photos of real prostitutes...jes don't seem right sum how ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    +1 on Snowy River. I've probably watched it 10 times. The fight scene in the bunk house and the dialog emediatly after was great, as was the heartbreaking scene of killing the old dog and Ray Walston's emotional response.

Return to Snowy River.....not so much.
    Return to Snowy River wasn't as good, but I still enjoyed that one too. While I like Brian Dennehy in the 2nd, Kirk Douglas left a impact for me in the first. I thought the soundtrack was amazing in both of them.

No one has mentioned the more modern Westerns - with a twist. .... I loved the Firefly TV series, and I enjoyed Cowboys and Aliens too.

What is sad is all these amazing westerns are out there, yet there are so few of them available on Instant Viewing on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I have had many of these westerns in my queue for years waiting for them to become available. (My "boring old movies" get bumped to the bottom of the DVD queue in favor of new releases for our movie night.)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Rio Bravo w John Wayne, Ricky Nelson, Dean Martin, and my favorite in the movie Walter Brennan!

Leone's man with no name trilogy is by far my favorites with The Good... at #1. Both Magnificent Sevens but Kurosawa did it even better. Butch and Sundance, mainly since I like Newman and love the comedy in the movie. High Noon is also great. Once Upon A Time In The West may be Leone's best.

Of the modern ones 3:10 to Yuma, Tombstone, the above mentioned second Mag Seven, Unforgiven and I also really like the Quick and the Dead.

Never have been a fan of John Wayne, I basically can't watch his movies.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    It seem modern westerns are attempting to rewrite or re-brush history with countless women written in as gunfighters and the rough and tumble types.
    My biggest gripe is the wh, umm working women have no existent pores and are have modern leading lady looks, but I guess so do the men, they just tend to have a layer of grime and hair on them. I don't mind the women at all (see the above Sharon Stone film as an example) and most of the Westerns (especially the old Westerns are far from accurate and just like all action movies gunplay is mostly stylized and mainly overt fantasy. While I don't mind this for whatever reason it bugs me that 99% of movies portray hand grenades as completely different than they are in real life, and most high velocity explosive based explosions as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    While I don't mind this for whatever reason it bugs me that 99% of movies portray hand grenades as completely different than they are in real life, and most high velocity explosive based explosions as well.
    I saw a stand-up comic, who was a Vietnam vet, do a routine about Rambo movies, specifically Rambo running across the rice paddies with mortar rounds dropping 6-8 feet from him. The comic did a great imitation of a Marine D.I. lecturing recruits about 40mm mortars - -

"it has a n-teenth pound HIGH explosive WARHEAD, wrapped by eleventy-seven feet of SEGMENTED x-gauge wire! .... on detonation EXPLODES outward at xxx feet per second, YIELDING an effective kill radius of One HUNDRED and EIGHTY six FEET! Lethal to anything except .. RAMBO!!"

Joke is not as timely anymore, so certainly not as funny, but it illustrates Hollywood's love of a pint of diesel strapped to an M80 as a substitute for your hi-velocity ordinance. After all, even Jack Reacher frowns on getting killed during filming. If so, it just ruins the opportunity for residuals and sequels.

Yep, definitely thumbs up for Tombstone
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Dances With Wolves is one of my all-genre all-time favorites. Like many of the others here I occasionally go track down one of the John Wayne offerings, one of the "spaghetti westerns", or others. A necessarily occasional indulgence for my completely mindless moments is "The Hallelujah Trail" - I originally watched that one at a drive-in theater during college days, and yes, there were smuggled in "adult beverages" involved!
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

All time fav = Open Range

Others= Quigley Down Under and Million Ways to Die in the Old West

I like Westerns! And, I liked most all that have mentioned including the current Longmire series.

One of my favorites was Lonesome Dove and will never forget what Gus said to his friend Lori. “Lori Darlin you’re as sweet as the mornin….how bout a poke?” It just took me by surprise. There were many more memorable quotes but to me, this one has stuck.

A Man Called Horse with Richard Harris (definitely NOT a Return of the Man Called Horse). Like the bad sequel Return to Snowy River, the sequels were pretty terrible in comparison to the original films. Jeremiah Johnson was a excellent too. Kind of on a theme here. There have been some great ones (many listed above) but not to many John Wayne movies had much going for them IMHO - though I did enjoy True Grit.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I like John Wayne in True Grit when he tells Ned Pepper to "Fill yore hand, you SOB". Also the Cowboys after John Wayne is killed and the kids ambush Bruce Dern and his horse falls on him & he begs them to help him get loose and they walk away.

I quite like 'Dead Man'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    I quite like 'Dead Man'.
    I don't recall that one.

One I don't think has been mentioned
    ...Sundance. I remember the guy's face but can"t put a name on it. Wore a black hat with mirrors all the way around it.
    It was a series, not movie.