Thread: Woodworking is good for the soul.

Woodworking is good for the soul.

My work schedule and other commitments have kept me away from my modest shop for way too long. I've been picking away at a project for months and not making much progress. The last week or so I've been able to devote more time to making sawdust (or wood dust to be more accurate). It's been great therapy. Note to self, make time for woodworking. It's good for the soul.

Just wanted to throw that out there.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Hi Rob; I know full well where your coming from. As someone who has battled with a mental illness the last 8yrs, being able to putter around the workshop, and continue what I know best, has saved me a number of times from going through with the kamikaze. It got that bad I opted for early retirement at the age of 50. The house and every thing else was all payed for, and there was no pressure on future finances. Every days a new day, and I have learnt over time not to plan too far ahead with any schedule. Today was a good day, so I brought out a box of bits that was a small ornamental case, possible built sometime during the 1940s early 1950s. I made a bid for it at an antique sale around 10yrs ago. The only bidder, which was of no surprise given its condition. 2 out of the 3 curved wooden panels were broken, and the backing board, and hardware were also missing. The only real attraction at the time was the 3 curved glass panels.

I am going to replace all the wooden parts with new, but before that can happen the old all parts need to assembled so I can get a gist of what it looked like in better times. The suspect hide glue joint have to be pulled apart, reinforcement staples removed, and the broken pieces reglued in place before each frame can be re assembled using fresh glue. Not a weekend job, but a project that will be ongoing.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-05-2017 at 12:08 AM.

The process of thought, design, and the detailed process leading to a thing, is very good for the soul. You have to work with the natural properties and limitations of the wood. I don't have a rigid design I then slavishly execute but prefer to think my way through a build.
    The more complicated a piece, the more scope for thought and soul satisfaction. Being surrounded by your own furniture is lovely.
    I regularly pull my wood out and look at it. Especially fine pieces of wood can be around for many years until I imagine them into something worthy.
    Working with very imperfect wood adds to the satisfaction as your design works around and between the faults to create something almost perfect.

Have many injuries that greatly limit my hobbies, and even makes the ones practiced mutually exclusive, because using energy for one almost certainly denies another.

Have faced many "demons" in my line of work both literary/metaphysically, getting wounded, and spending years in medical facilities revealed new ones.

My terminology for hand tool woodworking is "Distraction Therapy", there is an un-tangible element that is only perceptible to ones soul. Combine that with the many tangible elements and it soothes many of my "demons" and takes my mind off of others.

In my experience one can become trapped, enslaved, even encapsulated by a singular thought or physical issue, or on the other end of the spectrum, a barrage of recurring thoughts....those generally happen to me when I'm isolated, in the "dark" (literally and/or metaphorically) and can't physically practice the hobby.

That's when I draw upon project plans, even force myself to re-conceive the project, go over the design, wood types, tools needed, cut lists, and and try to identity any possible problems that might be encountered with the build. Build it over and over in my mind, form conception to completion. This is a mental exercise that I developed to combat those "demons" when I'm not able to get to the shop.

Wood working with hand tools is another, environment/world to me, and my shop is a place of solace and reflection, just another of the many gifts bestowed on me from my Redeemer/Savior. Realize that not everyone believes in that sort of thing, but not everyone believes in a soul either, consider myself fortunate to believe in both....I'm not trying to convince/convert anyone, just recounting my experiences.

We all know that we are the sum of our experiences, I'm of the opinion that we can change the calculus that defines that sum, at any point in that linear progression we call a lifetime....

Enough with the corny ramblings, back to some lucidity.

BTW Stewie:

Love those curved doors, would love to make a set of those, but have no clue where to obtain the glass, and probably could not afford it. Have some old metal framed display case doors I found in our attic, used them in an old book case to provide some protection from the elements for my most treasured planes.

Having a display case with curved wood/glass would be a pinnacle of achievement for me, something akin to self-attainment--hierarchically that is ;-)

Andy-- mos maiorum

I never intended to do wood working, as I spent most of my life, making and building, tools, jigs, fixtures, dies, and prototype things in various places. But I injured my back, and worked as long as possible, knowing I could not go on forever.

Being disabled and living in chronic pain has made life challenging enough, without adding more physical duties to my list.

But I find myself standing in the cellar shop arranging, rearranging, and getting my shop set up as best as possible, for the things to come. Whatever that may be.

So it goes, I suppose.

I understand what you fellas are sayin', & know how you feel. I had viral menangitis in 2009 & had to retire from trucking. I lost the use of both legs. Fortunately, after months of therapy, I regained the use of my legs. 3 years ago I had my first major back surgery, & in december, I had a second major back surgery. Chronic pain has been a major part of my life for a number of years, along with bouts of depression.

When my Sawbones gave me the long face, & told me my truckin' days were over, my bride decided I needed a hobby. She picked woodworking. Not ever being around wood, or wood tools of any kind, I had to read & learn to use every tool we bought. We bought tools & equipment for two years before I got to involved with it. Now we have about all the tools I'll ever need. A few new toys is always good, though! But had it not for gettin' into woodworking, my wife would've had me in a looney bin a long time ago! When I was trucking, I was out 4 - 6 weeks at a time. The transition was tough. My woodworking helped with that.

Most of what I do is scroll work, but in the last couple years have taken up turning. In the 20+ years of practicing, I'm building a small clientele, & am back in the shop a couple hours a day for now, until my back strengthens. I just keep at it, & have friends here to chat with. This is good post. Thanks for starting it. Enjoy the day.
    Last edited by Brad Barnhart; 02-05-2017 at 2:17 PM.
    Sawdust703

I fully agree with you Rob!!!!
    Jerry

This is really what is at the heart of this hobby/vocation/passion, the joy of creating in a very particular medium. Thanks for sharing these stories. Time spent at the bench is good time indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Today was a good day, so I brought out a box of bits that was a small ornamental case, possible built sometime during the 1940s early 1950s. I made a bid for it at an antique sale around 10yrs ago. The only bidder, which was of no surprise given its condition. 2 out of the 3 curved wooden panels were broken, and the backing board, and hardware were also missing. The only real attraction at the time was the 3 curved glass panels.

I am going to replace all the wooden parts with new, but before that can happen the old all parts need to assembled so I can get a gist of what it looked like in better times. The suspect hide glue joint have to be pulled apart, reinforcement staples removed, and the broken pieces reglued in place before each frame can be re assembled using fresh glue. Not a weekend job, but a project that will be ongoing.

Stewie;
    Slight change of plans. By heading down the track of repairing each of the glued panel joints, I might as well go the full hog and rebuild this Ornamental Display Cabinet using all the existing parts available. As mentioned earlier on, 2 out of 3 panels had broken steam bent horizontal members. They work has been completed. Its on to repairing the vertical stiles. The original timber finish will all need to be scraped and sanded back before a new finish can be applied. I wont be added any further updates on this thread. If I do decide post an update on the completed project it will be done on a new thread. The odds suggest unlikely.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-07-2017 at 9:17 PM.

I for one would love to see the finished case....

Regards,
    Andy-- mos maiorum

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I fully agree with you Rob!!!!
    As do I...in a world of insanity, my garage workshop is where I find solace.

I was recently invited to deliver a presentation to a local Rotary Club on the topic of woodworking and our association (Kingston Wood Artisans; see https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/). The main theme I spoke on was the importance to each of us for having a pastime that takes our minds off our work and family pressures. There is no doubt in my mind that woodworking is terrific for ones mental health and wellbeing.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos