Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brilliant solution, thanks Stewie

Brilliant solution, thanks Stewie

Being left handed with my vise on the right side has always presented some challenges with regard to workholding and right handed tools...like my Record 44.

Needing to do a few rabbets today, I went though my usual thoughts of putting in some more dog holes on the left side of my bench, and all sorts of battens and such. Then I remembered a post from Stewie showing him using a saw guide straight edge clamp upside down.

Gave it a try. Worked like a charm. Great tip, Stewie. Thanks!

IMG_0370.jpg

I'm confused! That's exactly what dog holes in a bench are supposed to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Right, but he didn't have to drill them. I assume that was what he wanted to avoid.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yup. But this is just another good way to skin that cat. Personally, I really like hearing alternate solutions - never know when I'll need one!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ha - William and Glenn you are both right. I confess I am inflicted with some kind of phobia on drilling holes in my bench.

I like it! The challenge is whether I can remember it when the need arises.........

Note also that the OP's solution has the added benefit of adjustability, as opposed to a fixed-hole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Note also that the OP's solution has the added benefit of adjustability, as opposed to a fixed-hole system.
    A creative solution when you don't have dog holes for sure.
    You do force me to point out that 'fixed' holes and at least 1 in a tail vise is infinitely adjustable for the length of the bench, but you knew that.
    Every aspect of my work bench was designed around the dog holes. Perhaps when Phil's work surface gets old and beaten up he will drill a few holes.
    Phil you have a very nice looking bench, you just need to drill 'nice' holes! I'm guessing you have not yet added an end vise or you wouldn't be able to resist drilling holes!

I have seen a Paul Sellars video where he does something similar with a bar clamp held in his face vise. Phil, what is that Veritas screw-down type holdfast stuck in the leg for?
    David

Sellers.

Happens to all of us...

You guys are killing me. Go ahead, laugh and make fun of my disease! When I made the bench, I bought two of those Veritas hold downs because a deadman with holes and no hold down was just plain silly. Eventually, I worked my self up to drilling holes in the leg and 4 holes along the rear edge of the bench top. They are used to hold battens, birdmouths, and wider work pieces. The therapy sessions have been working. Once I get over the end vise phobia, perhaps I'll install one and a FEW more holes will be drilled

Ah, one of the many perils of WWing!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Once I get over the end vise phobia, perhaps I'll install one and a FEW more holes will be drilled
    I think most of understand completely! When you do the end vise thing I can lend you a decent drill bit to make holes if you need one. Those spade bits are not for a bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    ... Then I remembered a post from Stewie showing him using a saw guide straight edge clamp upside down.

Gave it a try. Worked like a charm. Great tip, Stewie. Thanks!
    well, you know Stewie, smarter than the average bear! I have gleaned a bunch of useful and interesting information from his posts. I had missed that post, however, I need to remember it

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    well, you know Stewie, smarter than the average bear! I have gleaned a bunch of useful and interesting information from his posts. I had missed that post, however, I need to remember it
    You might want to ease up on those type of statements Andrew. This cats already lost 8 out of his 9 lives.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-05-2017 at 9:22 PM.