Thread: Bob's CNC E3???

Bob's CNC E3???

Has anyone purchased or used the new E3 by Bob's CNC? I have never used a CNC router and have thought about buying one for a while. Coming in at less than $600 is a great way for me to get started but didn't want to buy a piece of junk. I realize it won't work the same as a $4k+ machine, but would just be using it to do simple wood signs and maybe some acrylic or metal accents for some of my jewelry boxes or such.

I have the Dewalt DW660 that it comes with so I'm also aware of the noise level this will be at, which is not a problem, I have a standalone shop and ear protection.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Its junk (to me). Its 1/4" ply built using gt2 belts and nema17 motors and a GRBL shield using pololu steppers. The less than 2 amp rated steppers will not lead you to an upgrade path of anything worth mentioning (and will most likely stall on teh 17s once a but of any size is in any hardwood so there is really no future proof in the electronics. I would not add better rails or lead screw to this frame either so no upgrade path there. This design is barely enough for a no load 3d printer. Only redeeming value is the router and you already own that. But do what you want - its your shop. Make yourself happy.

My opinion - If you want cheap buy a shapeoko with a lead screw upgrade and at least some nema23s and a decent controller. Even then it will at least be an aluminum piece of junk.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-08-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

An even less expensive option along those lines is the nascent MillRight Desktop CNC by a long time Shapeoko forum member, drobs86 (also active on Reddit under that username) --- It's MDF, but small enough that that doesn't pose an issue. There's a lengthy list of machines on the /r/hobbycnc subreddit wiki page.

Agree a Shapeoko is the best bang-for-the-buck, esp. if you can find or manage to budget for a Shapeoko 3.

Before getting a machine though, I'd suggest you at least try out:

- designing a project --- use Inkscape or your favourite CAD program
    - researching what's involved for workholding and feeds and speeds for the stock --- look up chip calculators and investigate clamping techniques
    - and then simulating your CAM file --- there's a free 3D simulator, "GrblGru" at the Shapeoko wiki or look at "CAMotics"

to see if you're actually inclined to use a CNC --- a lot of people find that it divorces them from the tactile, direct hands-on aspect of woodworking which makes it a pleasurable activity, or find the CAD/CAM stage needlessly complex/confusing.

Also load up free Fusion 360 and start playing. Look at their tutorials. Software has come a LONG way from where I started even 10 years ago.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Note that Autodesk Fusion 360 isn't really free --- you have to qualify for it annually, (for so long as they choose to continue this), either as a hobbyist or startup earning less than $100,000 / yr.

If you are looking at that machine you qualify lol.

Isn't that the "ol drug dealer" marketing plan? Give away free at first. Get you to depend on it. If we find out you have money, then you pay.

Don't we already know how this turns out? How long can the "free candy" last?
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Haha, Great info guys and thank you for the input. Will look into the shapeoko and see what I can find. Will also look at that software first and come up with a game plan. Thanks again!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Isn't that the "ol drug dealer" marketing plan? Give away free at first. Get you to depend on it. If we find out you have money, then you pay.

Don't we already know how this turns out? How long can the "free candy" last?
    Kind of like smart phones and the rumored $1000 iphone 8 I've been reading about.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney