Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else is NOT watching the Super Bowl?

I went to the football games my kids played in. But have trouble getting interested in any TV sports. My eldest son is a sports fan. But not me.

Super Bore being play when? Just turned on for a minute and saw TWO bad calls on same play by ref's. Guess who The NFL wants to win

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Never much been into football myself. Or sports in general. Used to watch the Jazz when Karl & John were playing, but when Karl bailed I started losing interest. And when Brian Williams caused Jerry Sloan to up and quit, that was the final dagger in the heart. I got better things to do than watch millionaire spoiled brats play games.

Man after my own heart. I loved watching or listening Stockton and Malone play too. I realized after they were gone that I enjoyed the game because of them and not so much the game itself.

I haven't watch football for 25 years or more. I find I just don't care about sports at all. It seems like not only a waste of time, but takes so much effort, too much effort, to follow a team or a sport. If I had the time to watch sports, I would rather learn to play an instrument or something else productive. Am I an anti-sport snob? Maybe so, so I will apologize to anyone I have offended.

I stopped watching TV altogether about 25 years ago. I got a Roku just recently so my wife and I watch some Netflix for an hour or less a night.

I was a rabid sports fan, that all came to a halt when I quit drinking in 1982, woke up and realized how much time and emotional energy I was wasting.

I lived and breathed the Browns - until Art Modell took them away.
    After that, I decided to take my Sundays back and discovered there's a whole other world out there.
    I haven't paid more than a passing interest in football since.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm in the same boat Malcolm.

It's like hockey, a bunch of grown men chasing a tuna tin while on skates.

If I want to skate I'll pick a nice scenic place, not a rink.........I guess I must have lost my "male" license somewhere along the way

regards, Rod.

Never have, never will

Well, I guess someone has to be the contrarian in this conversation. While I am not an AVID sports watcher (I was actually flipping channels during the Super Bowl), I must say that I actually feel sorry for folks who do not enjoy sports. Sports in general are a great metaphor of life. The competition, the camaraderie, the struggles to overcome failure, the joys of success, both individual and shared, the bond of a team much like a family, the facing of challenges, overcoming odds, etc. The lessons learned playing sports are second only to those we should learn from our parents.

Now, if your saying you're just not interested in one particular thing, e.g. the Super Bowl, I get that. I feel the same way about any number of pomp and circumstance things that are directed towards us these days. So if someone doesn't like the hoopla, or the participants, etc. I understand. But I will again say that if sports in general disinterest you I feel badly for you. To each there own however. We all have different interests.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    So who else is in my minority group?
    I have to laugh at myself. A couple weeks ago I was trying to schedule a get together to work on a common project with another guy. I mentioned this weekend as a likely time. He just stared at me for a moment. Then, as if speaking to a child he said "Its Superbowl Sunday".

I managed to not give my usual response of "Oh, is it football season?". Instead I simply said "the weekend after is good too".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Well, I guess someone has to be the contrarian in this conversation. While I am not an AVID sports watcher (I was actually flipping channels during the Super Bowl), I must say that I actually feel sorry for folks who do not enjoy sports. Sports in general are a great metaphor of life. The competition, the camaraderie, the struggles to overcome failure, the joys of success, both individual and shared, the bond of a team much like a family, the facing of challenges, overcoming odds, etc. The lessons learned playing sports are second only to those we should learn from our parents.

Now, if your saying you're just not interested in one particular thing, e.g. the Super Bowl, I get that. I feel the same way about any number of pomp and circumstance things that are directed towards us these days. So if someone doesn't like the hoopla, or the participants, etc. I understand. But I will again say that if sports in general disinterest you I feel badly for you. To each there own however. We all have different interests.
    I race sailboats and got into drag racing and autocross for a while. I don't watch any organized sports. I prefer to actually play the sports, but not ball sports. I find them to be a bit silly- chasing a ball up and down a court/field. Auto and boat racing I find more practical, i.e. The skills I can use in life more than how well I can throw or catch a ball. I work closely with America's Cup in my "real job" and enjoy getting to meet the crew and see the boats up close, but even then I never watch the races. Watching other people do what I love isn't my idea of fun. I prefer to spend the time in the boat doing it myself. Don't read this in a sarcastic way- I just don't get watching others play sports. I get the challenge of planning out a game play by play, but I'm not into watching others do it.

There's a difference between playing sports and living vicariously watching someone else do it.

I enjoy playing sports, but I don't enjoy watching sports anymore. I see little camaraderie in sitting on the couch and watching men, or women, get paid millions to play a game. It doesn't matter what the game is, you are just a bystander and nothing else. If you work for a team, different story. If you play for a different team, different story. I suggest that watching sports is a great metaphor for too many in life....sitting and watching the world go by instead of living life.

Blog Entries
    The bride and I took in a movie last night. If you've ever driven in the DC area, there are certain choke points that always seem to be backed up. My wife runs a radio as we get ready for bed around 10 and they do traffic reports. Almost always Highway 66 is backed up eastbound around Falls Church where we live, even on Sunday night when you would expect no one to be on the road!

We've lived here for a year and I can say with certainty, that we've encountered a jam on 66 getting home every time. Last night was different. We sailed right through. So I say to all you Super Bowl fans, "keep it up". Hmmm... maybe the Capitals will win the Stanley Cup. Maybe the Nationals will bring the World Series to town. I would view those as date nights.

I love and watch sports--especially football and baseball. Basketball and hockey are a bit lower on the list. I love the Olympics, Winter and Summer, and my daughter did gymnastics for 10 years before moving on to volleyball and she is now starting track and field (she is a freshman in high school). I've always been active and enjoy moving around and competition and such.

On the other hand, my tile setter, who is working on the side for me and therefore can only work on the weekend, is from Canada and the only real sport to watch in the world is hockey. So he was plugging away tiling our daughter's bathroom whilst I took in the game. He finished the tile and will grout next weekend so the end is in sight!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I missed it, just like most of the last 30 or 40 seasons. It amazes me how much time and energy is wasted on professional sports. Everyone complains about how today's kids spend so much time on social media, yet there are quite a few adults that spend their ENTIRE weekend watching sports.

We took the kids skiing and the slopes cleared out around 2:00. Then we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and were the only people in the entire pace. We showed up right at the halftime show, and the kids seemed to like that.

Steve