Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else is NOT watching the Super Bowl?

Blog Entries

Who else is NOT watching the Super Bowl?

No kidding, I just texted my wife, "Domino's isn't answering the phone." She texted back, "It's Super Bowl Sunday, I'm sure they're busy." I answered, "That was today?"

I realize that I am a minority in this issue, but I absolutely do not understand watching grown men play with a ball. I don't get painting your face in your favorite team colors. I will never understand yelling at the television or complaining about a "bad play." I just don't get it. I respect those that don't see this my way, and I am not trying to be cynical. This is just something that has always fascinated me- especially the whole face/body painting thing.

I will be in the shop making sawdust. There are a few bars down the hill so I will know when someone scores a touchdown because they will all be yelling, or when someone does something stupid because they will all say "awwwwwwwww" in unison. That always amuses me. I will look at Amy and say, "Somebody just did something."

So who else is in my minority group?

P.S. The commercials are cool. I usually Google those the next day.

Blog Entries
    Count me as another not watching modern day gladiators.

Baseball sometimes catches my eye on the tube and maybe if my old home team or the Chicago Cubs are involved my attention might be held for a game. Baseball is more fun to play than it is to watch. At my age, there is not going to be a whole lot more running the bases and touching them all.

Candy likes to watch football if they are playing in the mud.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am another pro sports non-watcher, except for NASCAR...

Chuck

When I was in school, we didn't have football. SE Alaska, lots of gravel, no grass. Never took a liking to the game. Now Moto GP and Formula 1, those are another story.

Chalk up another one for NASCAR, last football game I watched was half a game my freshman year in high school. Never like the idea that you could play a "perfect" game and lose. So team sports are just silly to me.
    Yes, I know NASCAR is more of a team sport these days, but I began watching back when there was no communication with the driver except for a chalkboard held out as he passed the pits.
    Yes, I am old. (grin)
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Never much been into football myself. Or sports in general. Used to watch the Jazz when Karl & John were playing, but when Karl bailed I started losing interest. And when Brian Williams caused Jerry Sloan to up and quit, that was the final dagger in the heart. I got better things to do than watch millionaire spoiled brats play games.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

GO FALCONS. I just want to watch New England lose. The commercials are funny. Elephant on treadmill.

Never been a fan of organized sports. Has always seemed like some of the worst components of the educational system. Never watch.

I am with you guys. It is even difficult having sports conversations because I don't know the players, stats, etc. - and I don't care to.

I may not always be productive, but my motto is: I do not have time to watch other people exercise.

I am not a sports fan at all. I do have it playing on TV but on the laptop going through SMC forum at the same time.
    In a group conversation I can talk about most anything except sports and movies. I always felt if I had time to sit in a chair and watch them I should be doing something else.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I couldn't even tell you who is playing. Never mind, who cares?

I'm not. I don't care. It's probably been 30+ years since I've watched a single sporting event and couldn't care less if I ever do again. What's the point of watching a bunch of overpaid primadonnas prancing around on a field?

I do watch football on occasion but have never watched the Super bowl and am not starting now. Netflix and Amazon video are more interesting to me.

Of course the game is on upstairs. My wife is waiting for that annoying football stuff to stop so she can watch the half time show.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    So who else is in my minority group?
    I thought a super bowl was a really big turning, perhaps with fantastic figure or finish. I don't follow sports and refuse to waste time watching TV - haven't watched an hour of television in over 10 years now. I have way too much else I want to do.

I always thought it was silly for grown men to chant "We're #1" when they have nothing to do with that team except for perhaps being born in that area.

The worst thing is how football sometimes don't seem too sporting. It seems to make enemies out of people who would otherwise probably get along. Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and wear the wrong colors or have the wrong license plate and you might get yelled at or worse. My lifelong goal is to have football banned in the US. So far I haven't made much progress.

I have no idea when the game is or was, but I was probably in the shop or out mixing concrete setting a few more posts for the new peacock house.

And actually, I don't know the statistics - are the non-followers are actually a minority? Almost none of my friends here follow sports. I think my brother watches baseball.

JKJ