Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who else is NOT watching the Super Bowl?

I was happy when we had 2 boys, so my wife would have someone to watch football with!
    Turns out they aren't any more interested than I am.

I've never figured out why anyone would care about this stuff. I admire their skill, but that they get paid to play in a city near me; so what?
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 02-06-2017 at 4:11 PM.

Count me out, just too many other things I'd rather do. I can't figure out why a network station who's not carrying the game shows re-runs all evening. It's as if they figure everyone is also watching the game.
    Mac

Never understood why the viewers put up with a game that shouldn't last more than 2 hours being padded out by relentless stops for commercials - no continuity at all to my mind. Rugby (6 Nations championship in Europe is on) is a much better game, only one stoppage for half time (barring injuries), no body armor or helmets, and they tackle just as hard as Football. And you're done in 90mins

Count me out as well. Another twist I'll add is that I really don't get folks that watch college sports and support a specific school. Working in manufacturing I have always chuckled at employees that talk much smack about a new young supervisor or other role that is college educated. How they don't know anything and that college educated folks are blah, blah, blah. Then as that same conversation evolves they go on a rant about how "their team" played over the weekend. They didn't go to that school, or any other for that matter, but have some weird allegiance to them in sports.

I just don't get the logic.

It's 10:38 am on Tuesday and I am not watching the Super Bowl

This thread shows why its great to be an American. There are so many folks who don't care and therefore are available to work while the rest of us enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    Then as that same conversation evolves they go on a rant about how "their team" played over the weekend. They didn't go to that school, or any other for that matter, but have some weird allegiance to them in sports.

I just don't get the logic.
    They want to be part of something bigger than themselves. I guess. I donno.

Why does everyone watch swimming or XC skiing on the Olympics? Couldn't possibly be more boring and they certainly wouldn't watch it if it wasn't the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    They want to be part of something bigger than themselves. I guess. I donno.

Why does everyone watch swimming or XC skiing on the Olympics? Couldn't possibly be more boring and they certainly wouldn't watch it if it wasn't the Olympics.
    I don't. Haven't watched the Olympics in decades either. Zero interest.

Blog Entries
    Cool. I love Americas Cup ever since they allowed the new boats. My hope is that some of that tech will make its way down the food chain to us mortals. Like the wing sail. I've been following it for a long time and haven't seen a boat I could afford with a wing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I don't. Haven't watched the Olympics in decades either. Zero interest.

I like curling in the winter olympics. Any sport where the consumption of beer during competition is encouraged is special

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Cool. I love Americas Cup ever since they allowed the new boats. My hope is that some of that tech will make its way down the food chain to us mortals. Like the wing sail. I've been following it for a long time and haven't seen a boat I could afford with a wing.

Since you asked, this is one of the few that I have been given permission to share. So much carbon fiber in that place.

IMG_0429.jpg

Wing sails are too complicated and can't be reefed- I've had that conversation many times. Inflatable battens and inflatable foils are, however, very much the future of sailing for the masses.

I'm getting in on this late, but have even stopped watching NASCAR, much less pro sports of any other kinds. I'm going to stop watching college football if they don't stop killing the whole game with commercials. The pros have gotten to the point they're spoiled brats. They whine and cry while making gazillions of dollars. NASCAR just can't leave racing alone. They change the rules daily, it seems, and it has become a joke. Dale Earnhart said it best; Shut up and race.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Well, I guess someone has to be the contrarian in this conversation. While I am not an AVID sports watcher (I was actually flipping channels during the Super Bowl), I must say that I actually feel sorry for folks who do not enjoy sports. Sports in general are a great metaphor of life. The competition, the camaraderie, the struggles to overcome failure, the joys of success, both individual and shared, the bond of a team much like a family, the facing of challenges, overcoming odds, etc. The lessons learned playing sports are second only to those we should learn from our parents.

Now, if your saying you're just not interested in one particular thing, e.g. the Super Bowl, I get that. I feel the same way about any number of pomp and circumstance things that are directed towards us these days. So if someone doesn't like the hoopla, or the participants, etc. I understand. But I will again say that if sports in general disinterest you I feel badly for you. To each there own however. We all have different interests.
    There was one sports (?) team I wanted to be on in high school (decades ago). Other than that I didn't and still don't, care about sports of any kind unless you call tractor pulling a sport.

I wanted to be on the weightlifting team. They wouldn't let me unless I joined another sport also.

The ironic part was, in PE I was 2nd place in the history of the school in weightlifting. I'm out of shape now but can still do my part when it comes to heavy lifting.