Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Upgrading parallel clamps

It takes only seconds to lay a handle against a spinning sanding disc. The grip is improved many fold.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    It takes only seconds to lay a handle against a spinning sanding disc. The grip is improved many fold.
    Good idea. I may use it one day. The round wood handles are not good. Especially for my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    When you do this do you make a single flat, or multiple facets?

I have Jet, Irwin, new and old Bessy. The Jets are my favorite. The Irwins are my lease favorites because of the fine threads that take so long to tighten. I only use my pipe clamps when I need a really long clamp(50" +).

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    When you do this do you make a single flat, or multiple facets?
    One large single flat is all it takes.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have been using the Aluminum Dubuque Clamps and they are very good. I find them light and easy to set up. Mark over at the woodwhisperer just posted a video on youtube comparing the Bessey's to the Jets and he said they were pretty even though he favored the Jets because they have the trigger slide adjustment. FWIW, he is sponsored by Powermatic . Both Powermatic and Jet are owned by WMH.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Blog Entries
    When I want a better grip on Bessey clamps or wood clamps I just put a few drops of water on my hands which improves a lot on tightening. Of course I already have this available as I'm cleaning off excessive glue anyway.

Not about to grind on my clamps. Too many option for a better grip..
    IMG_0405.jpg

Jack, I keep a pair or two of the stretchy gloves with the rubber on the palm/fingers handy for the same purpose. Works a little better than water. I use then for a lot of other things as well where my old hands just don't have the grip. One pair is always by the jointer, a really big help.