Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading parallel clamps

Upgrading parallel clamps

Have some 24" and 48" Irwin clamps, they work ok, but after too many glue ups that didn't get cleaned up all the way I am having trouble getting them to clamp properly.

So, I am looking to upgrade. I figure I use the 24 inchers mostly, so those get replaced first. I need 4 each. Anyone want to recommend a replacement set? Hopefully one that has a discount.
    Last edited by Sean Hagerty; 02-05-2017 at 6:51 PM.

My only advice would be dont by Revo's. They are the worst clamps we've ever owned. I'd opt for good pipe clamps over parallels any day of the week.

I have had troubles with the pipe from the pipe clamps causing discolored spots on the wood

I have four of the new Yost parallel clamps and like them fine. I mentioned them in an earlier thread, and didn't come across anyone else that had tried them. I can't compare them to Besseys or Jets because these are my first parallel clamps. They're quite a bit cheaper than Jets, and seem to run about the same as the Bessey Jrs. Their fit and finish is very nice and they seem plenty strong enough for me.

You might try a couple from Amazon, if they don't measure up for you, send 'em back.

Blog Entries
    How you use a clamp to clamp and to clamp what would help. Only a few options for parallel clamps and if your not cleaning them, well that's another story...

I failed when I started out in wood working by not cleaning them well.

I do a lot of cutting boards, end grain and long grain. So, lots of hardwoods clamped together with a lot of squeeze out, that gets wiped off right after clamping, then it sits for a few hours before unclamping. Then I will attempt to clean them.

First, I would see about trying to clean the glue off of the Irwins. In order of preference Jet (they also make a 31" size that is a nice size that I like.) Then maybe if you can still find them Jorgensen brand. Then if you want some lighter ones Dubuque Aluminum Bar Clamps. Lee Valley carries them and will have free shipping starting on the 2/7. The are also available from http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/uniclamps.htm and https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...sal_Bar_Clamps. I do not own them yet, but reviews are great. Dan

Just pick up a brass wire cup wheel for your angle grinder or drill and clean them off. Works like a charm.

The Dubuque clamps have a very attractive price point. Might need to order some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Lee Valley will have free shipping starting on 2/7.
    How did you happen to hear this Dan? I don't see it on their website yet?

Own many and highly suggest the Bessey K-Body REVO's. Not the JRs though, those arent the same deal. They are pricey but theyve been the standard for many years for a reason.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My favorites are the Jet parallel clamps, by a long shot. Jorgensen and Bessey are 2 and 3. I have at least 20 of each brand.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Lee Valley Free Shipping on orders $40 or more between February 7 and 21 , 2017. Was announced in their Winter 2017 catalog, which I just received on 4 Feb. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Lee Valley Free Shipping on orders $40 or more between February 7 and 21 , 2017. Was announced in their Winter 2017 catalog, which I just received on 4 Feb. Dan
    Awesome! Love it when they do the free shipping thing! Thanks for the heads up!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I favor the Jorgenson Pony clamps.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."